Bugs in the wood pile

wchesterpa

Last week, I pulled out a piece of Ash from the stacks in my basement. It was from a bunch of Ash given to me from friend who had found them left in the garage when they bought a new house.

I never really examined the boards closely and now think I'm seeing fresh bug damage (surface holes) on the boards.

Wondering if I should be panicked. Is this likely to spread to the rest of my wood? What about to the framing of the house? Do I need to start fogging my workshop right away? Spot treat the boards?

Thoughts?

There are a lot more surface holes than I remember, and in one spot there was a pile of sawdust--which could have been from me cutting something, but I don't think so.

I'm worried less about the type of bug and more about whether they are a significant threat to spread.

ETA: Having read the powderpost beetle link, it seems that's pretty likely given the size of holes, the sawdust pile and that it's ash. Thanks preeng2