Ross Super Sander Drum sander

dcustoms

Don,

Thanks! I have to admit I directed the post for you. The conveyer motor doesn't work it looks like i might get it for a few hundred bucks. I figure put a few more into it and i might have a decent sander. It is a single drum. I hear you on the 3hp motor thing. I'll have to really look at it. Thanks for the advice.

Well I got the sander for $200. The main motor runs well and there are no vibrations while running. I just have to figure out the conveyor part of it. Also while I was moving it to the shop it fell over and now all 4 lead screws that control the height adjustment are slightly bent enough to make it impossible to move up and down. I think my plan is to remove the 4 lead screws and have them remade or I was looking at some similar macnines and the grizzly might offer a stock replacement. We shall see one problem just turned into another. Thanks for everyone's input.

I haven’t played with the conveyer motor yet the guy who owned it took apart the control module so i am going to start there it is electronically speed controlled by a potentiometer. As soon as i get the new screw rods and get the thing back to gether I will start on the conveyer. It doesn't have a safety bar on it but I do want to look at the obvious before comitting to messing with the motor.

• 2 years later...

Thanks, Byrdie.  I am a woodworker as well.. in fact it was looking for a decent drum sander for my shop that eventually ended up with me manufacturing them.  I hope to put them back into production sometime, but am currently busy designing CNC router systems that I aim to put into production.  I still do woodworking when I get the chance, so I will be bouncing in now and then to see what's new.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mr Ross,  I purchased one of your sanders a month ago and am trying to get it going.  I was told that the DC drive motor was bad (the previous owner had removed it). I checked it with another DC controller and it works fine.  I reinstalled it and started looking at the other controls and found a fuse on the back of the variable controller (250V / 3A) that was blown.  I replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again.  Any ideas?  I appreciate your willingness to help all of us guys out!  Have a blessed day! 

• 9 months later...
On June 30, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Vincent Ross said:

Sorry gents, have not been available due to health issues.  If anyone wants to get my attention, make a comment here then email me a link and I will do my best to help ya out.  vincentross64@gmail.com

Mr. Ross, I bought a 37" double head sander years ago, use it much. About 5 years ago v-belt guide on conveyor came off and I've used sander til I wore conveyor belt,, can I still get replacement? Tks