#21 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Locationbourbonnais......thats just south of chicago

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Cotton wood is junk it won't hold hard wood it's Harry and won't mill well plus it's heart can rot out on you only good for burning and not even that

#22 paoloberno

paoloberno

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFerrara, Italy

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

Cottonwood hybrids are widely planted here in the plains of nothern Italy, the trees are cut after 8-20ys but usually around 12, the wood is soft, light and fibrous, awful for woodworking but good for crates, pallets, boxes and paper.

Being fibrous and almost knot free it's used for plywood too, cottonwood ply is quite good because is lightweight, strong, with a very even surface and easy to stain or paint.

Recently i've seen a lot of walnut plantations but don't know where they will be processed since all the sawmills are on the hills or mountains

#23 Johan

Johan

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

Check out this links:
http://nelsonwoodwor...p_a9976cb4.html
Also check out his web site. It is very interesting.

Johan

Edited by Johan, 03 March 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#24 Greg W

Greg W

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

About 10 years ago when my parents were alive, we'd drive south down highway 71 towards Hot Springs and I noticed a few handmade signs pointing down a gravel road advertising hardwood for sale.

Also there are some Arkansas Whetstones to be had along highway 270 west of Hot Springs.

#25 davidjamestables

davidjamestables
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

I dont Know if your still looking for a sawmill but this one is an a hour and half drive from you there called johnsonsawmill

http://www.johnsonsawmill.com/

Or there H & H In Grandby missouri

johnson you can get anytype of wood you want and there prices are pretty cheap

#26 TimWood

TimWood

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, SC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

I dont Know if your still looking for a sawmill but this one is an a hour and half drive from you there called johnsonsawmill

http://www.johnsonsawmill.com/

Or there H & H In Grandby missouri

johnson you can get anytype of wood you want and there prices are pretty cheap

Welcome to the party David!

#27 RPCV_Woodworker

RPCV_Woodworker

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter:@RPCVWoodworker
  • LocationAlexandria, Virginia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Woodmizer has a search option on their website to help people get in touch with small scale sawyers.  That being said, the big commercial mills and cheap imports have really depressed the price of lumber, which makes it harder for small mills to generate enough output to pay workers.  Think of this as the wal-martization of milling.  coupled with the downturn in consumer spending and most people fold. 

My suggestion, find a real-estate agent who sells lots in the country.  About 35% of the forested lots sold near towns get clearcut for housing, and the trees get hauled off for mulching &c, or sold for timber (when run by a developer)  If you get there before they do the clearcut you can usually get them for a song.  A while back we got an entire truckload of logs for 600 dollars, I can't remember the total bf we sawed out of it, but it just about filled a tractor trailer, and supplied 5 years of firewood from what we didn't get around to sawing.

#28 Jack

Jack

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationnear Nashville, TN, USA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

In my area, 25 mi NW of Nashville TN, there are 3 sawmills in 10 miles (possibly more) but they either do ties or pallets

and aren't really 'public mills'.  And I don't think these mills run kilns.  The bark strips and saw dust mainly go to local

tobacco barn owners by the truck load to cure tobacco.

I am guessing that we could contact them and most managers are friendly.  I haven't approached them, but I suspect it

might be possible.

Contact some local farmers or your county agent, they probably know where local mills are even if they aren't 'public'

mills.  We had some trees taken down recently, and even the tree removal folks took 'good logs' to the mill to help

increase their profits, and it is better than just burning or grinding or paying to dump them.

#29 Tom King

Tom King

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLake Gaston, NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Around here, it used to be that there was at least one sawmill every 30 miles or so.  When I started building houses in 1973, I could get Yellow Pine framing lumber that had been sawn, air dried on sticks for a year, then milled straight and dressed after it came out of the drying kiln which was fired by burning sawdust.  You could buy YP 2x4s that were straight and stayed straight.  You can't hardly find a YP 2x4 these days, much less one that is straight, or will stay straight.

You could buy any size board of C and Better clear Yellow Pine in stock, and have a lot to pick from fairly cheap.  It was well cured and stable too.

All these mills have gone out of business now that they have to compete with the big box stores who sell wood that is sawn, dried, milled, and banded into bundles in less than 24 hours.  Stand back when the bands are cut on a stack of this lumber.

Even all the old carpenters, except for maybe me, who used to work with the properly cured wood are gone now.  I don't know any of them still alive anymore around here other than me.

In 1980, I bought White Oak lumber to use as siding on my house and barn for one hundred bucks a thousand. They cut all the sapwood off before they would dare charge for a board.  You can still buy it about an hour away, but it's a lot more now, and not graded for quality.

#30 MrB_Saluda_SC

MrB_Saluda_SC
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSaluda, SC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I remember hearing about the network of Wood Mizer owners.  It's searchable by state and you can see what the references have to offer (delivery, kiln, buys/sells,custom orders, etc...).

http://www.woodmizer...stomSawyer.aspx

Mr. B

#31 TimWood

TimWood

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, SC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

Around here, it used to be that there was at least one sawmill every 30 miles or so.  When I started building houses in 1973, I could get Yellow Pine framing lumber that had been sawn, air dried on sticks for a year, then milled straight and dressed after it came out of the drying kiln which was fired by burning sawdust.  You could buy YP 2x4s that were straight and stayed straight.  You can't hardly find a YP 2x4 these days, much less one that is straight, or will stay straight.

You could buy any size board of C and Better clear Yellow Pine in stock, and have a lot to pick from fairly cheap.  It was well cured and stable too.

All these mills have gone out of business now that they have to compete with the big box stores who sell wood that is sawn, dried, milled, and banded into bundles in less than 24 hours.  Stand back when the bands are cut on a stack of this lumber.

Even all the old carpenters, except for maybe me, who used to work with the properly cured wood are gone now.  I don't know any of them still alive anymore around here other than me.

In 1980, I bought White Oak lumber to use as siding on my house and barn for one hundred bucks a thousand. They cut all the sapwood off before they would dare charge for a board.  You can still buy it about an hour away, but it's a lot more now, and not graded for quality.

Tom, where are you located?

#32 Tom King

Tom King

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationLake Gaston, NC

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

Lake Gaston, N.C. just below the Va. state line 15 minutes west of I95.

#33 Kuhn315

Kuhn315

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Locationspotswood,nj

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I live in Northwest Arkansas, and I am having a really hard time finding good sources of hardwood.

Maybe I just don't know how to look. I search lumber mill and sawmill and am just not finding any good leads close by.

The question is this:

Is there a good online source for finding lumber mills and hardwood supply houses?

Does anyone happen to know a good one in my vicinity (SW Missouri, NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas, NW Arkansas)?

Thanks for any help I can get...attachicon.gifsawmill.jpg

I have used hardwoods2go.com twice, shipping is fair, and wood is reasonably priced. I bought 40bf of spanish cedar, I got lucky and this was s4s! shipping was fast as well. Selection isnt that great but take a look.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: milling

Support the forum by shopping with our affiliates!

Shop Woodworking | Rockler Woodworking & Hardware | Amazon.com

Advertisementbellforest200x200-tww10 Image Map EagleAmerica