WoodNoob

What to do with "chunks" of Oregon

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've just inherited what are essentially offcuts of oregon beams - about 12-16 pieces of average 700mm x 200mm x 65mm (2-3 feet long and 8" wide, 2.5" thick). It's been sitting on the floor of an old shed for thirty years but is surprisingly flat and unmarked.

I'm not really that familiar with the wood (in Australia), but I understand it's fairly resinous so gluing with PVA might be an issue?

But also, I'm just looking for ideas of what it would be good for? I'm still a newbie, and it's free, so I'm happy to use it for practice, but I thought it looks nice, so maybe there's a good use for it? Boxes was the first thought.

PS I don't have a bandsaw, so resawing is going to be a pain. But they are short, so I could potentially do it by hand (sigh). I do have secondary access to a thicknesser. I've got a table saw with a small blade. Power planer, router. Pretty much everything else is hand tools.

without a bandsaw it will be a pain look in yellow pages i bet you can find cabinet shotp who let you cut down your beams for a small price. might want to find out what kind of wood they are i got some realy great quarter sawn barn suports that were made from cedar got a shelf full of 8 by 2ft quarter sawn cedar that i think ill make into small boxes like humidors. at worse you can use table saw to cut some slots and then use hand saw to cut the rest of the way.

+1 to getting someone to resaw them for you. Sounds like the wood is well worth the investment..

I've certainly done that before I.E. cut as deep as I can with the table saw all the way around the piece and then use the hand saw to cut the rest through. It shouldn't be too hard with the short lengths.

I'm not that familiar with the wood, it's fairly soft is it? Is it good for boxes? What about shelves? Maybe a bit resinous for that?

I've never heard of wood actually named "Oregon"; however-being an Oregon resident, it sounds like you may be describing Douglas Fir, which is the predominant wood species grown around here. If it is, then, yes it is fairly soft, and can be quite pitchy....but it is quite strong and can be very beautiful. I actually just used some salvaged Doug Fir 1x material to make a nice built-in.

So FWIW, I say-use it for whatever you want!

Thanks Gordon, yes it is Douglas Fir, that's probably one of the regional name changing things that makes everything so confusing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• strategy for jointing a board on a jointer
      I read it add a question instead of a statement.   With the statement, I'd have to disagree but to each their own. If it's worked for you for thousands of feet, why change now. 
      With my little 12" planer I've never had a problem with getting my rough stock flat and true. I have put at least a 1,000 lineal feet of stock through it and have never had an issue. My whole kitchen came to me random width and length. If there was a 12' board warped or twisted I'd cut it into shorter usable pieces and then plane it. Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    • Projects 2014-2015
      Nice work!  There's some really cool attention to detail in those projects!
      You can flatten with a planer if you use a sled, but that's a much less efficient & complicated way to do it, time wise.  You can joint edges pretty easily with a table saw & jig. A jointer's most important function, in my opinion is to flatten one face. Of course if you have a jointer, you'd use it to joint the edge.
    • Mysterywood
      Warning: I'm just going to dump a bunch of photos here...stop reading now if this kind of thing annoys you   Bought some lumber last week and some of it the guy was calling 'mysterywood' because he didn't know what it was...pics below. This one is huge... 6/4x15"x11'...the contrast with the sapwood had me thinking cherry initially A couple shorter 6/4 boards with some nice figure when I wiped it down...looks and feels like the same species as the first board And 4 of these guys (6/4x4"x10')....they look and feel like all the same species as the above ones as well I cut the end off one of them and it looked a lot more pink than I expected: This stuff all felt really hard and dense, I was sure it was a hardwood of some kind, but the only thing with that pink color I've ever seen is doug fir. And it feels about 4x more dense than any doug fir I've ever laid hands on. These 2 were advertised as teak (the guy was an old boat captain and had used the stuff to replace and repair in the past). I've never had any teak in the shop, but it felt and smelled like the teak at my local mill: This one made me think sapele, but it was a similar color and feel as the ones above, so it might be teak as well: These guys were 12' boards..had to cut 6" off the end to even fit it in my shop  They feel a bit oily like an exotic, but the density is pretty middle of the road. And this last guy was an ugly hideous bent to death board with a foot of check on each end...was about to put it in the fire pile and realized it was probably white oak. I cut it into smaller pieces since the bow and twist was way too much for me to even get it to stay on my lumber rack...might still end up firewood at some point, who knows, but it was free. Was a fun trip just seeing another guy's shop. He had decades of dust and dirt in there..also got some random walnut scraps, a few maple boards, and a couple scraps of zebrawood, and one that might be ironwood. Forgot to take photos of the little scraps, ah well. Time for me to sit back and wait for someone to say "it's all pine"...
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room