Playing Catchup on the Roubo Build

TFPtrader

I started late on this project due to an overhaul on getting the shop up to speed. Having long wanted a larger and better jointer along with a more substantial band saw, I went with Grizzly to solve the problem. The machines have decent value for the buck without going nuts on spending big dollars. As for the workbench, the Roubo build couldn't have come at a better time. The workbench is the heart of the shop and I desperately need a good bench. Thx Marc and Aaron. Because the shop is on the smallish side, I am forced to eliminate two dogholes on the left side of the leg vise, which brings the bench down to 77-1/4". A snub nose Roubo, gotta love it. But it should work in the space I have. This is the first time I am milling big stick lumber like this and it's not short of feeling like Grizzly Adams, lol. Makes you appreciate the effort that goes into these types of projects.

Anyway, I bought the "Roubo Lumber Package" from Bell Forest Products and was very happy with the service and so far very happy with the product. Getting the material wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be. I also went with the BenchCrafted hardware and it looks real sweet. Can't wait to spin the wheels.Overall, the project was a little bigger than I wanted to jump into right away, but I have to say that with a little forsight and planning ahead things are moving along nicely. For those having trouble out there, just sit back and take your time to figure it out. Where there is a will - there is a way. It will be worth it at the end. The idea is to enjoy the project along with the challenges and nuances of getting it built. I'm having a blast!

I'm not a software guru or anything, but I managed to rework the dimensions I needed for the bench in Sketchup. Sketchup was a hoot to figure out and it cost me a few hours of brute strength and awkwardness, but I got the job done. That was my big challenge so far in this project, whew!. The rest will be cake, I hope. Reading the posts in the Forum has been a big help to plan this project so I figured I'd throw my two cents in to help anybody else who is getting started or thinking about getting started.

The front and back slabs are milled, glued up and ready for the next step. Working the front slab for the end cap is my next move. Here are a few pics of my journey so far, Enjoy, Have FUN!

post-6211-0-79947700-1330523545_thumb.jp

Material delivered to a friends warehouse

post-6211-0-12320200-1330523713_thumb.jp

Resawing to premill size

post-6211-0-93158300-1330523734_thumb.jp

Throwing some Walnut into the mix

post-6211-0-32818600-1330523751_thumb.jp

Front laminate, Front slab and Back Slab all milled up