stacking wood?

linkmx674

what is the best way to stack lumber? the lumber yard that i bought it from had it stacked up against the wall. so when i brought it home i did they same. should i be stacking it flat on racks?(if i had lumber racks but i don't) I'm letting the wood sit to my shops temp before i work with it. this is my first time buying rough sawn lumber. all the other projects have been with s4s from save big money stores.

laid down flat is the best way to store your lumber, but that may not be an option if you don't have the floor space. The temperature isn't really the issue, moreso the humidity when you let lumber acclimate to your shop space. If you do have to lean it against the wall, try to find some way to keep it flat against the wall...if you have it just leaning, eventually it will sag in the middle and take on a bow.

You may consider working out a lumber rack hanging from the ceiling, or building some racking if you have the wall space...If you don't have a lot of lumber to store, you may be able to use some inexpencive shelf supports from the local big box...LOTS of options for making a wood rack...

• 1 month later...

I know you've probably already used the wood that you wrote about in this thread, but just thought I'd add my experience with storing/acclimating rough lumber without a rack in my own shop. If you've already built yourself a rack, just disregard.

I've been meaning to build a rack in my space, but have been too pre-occupied with other projects. My make-shift method seems to be working well for now: just lay a few 2x4s (cut to a few feet long and spaced 12-16" apart) as a base, stack on this and sticker between boards (with scrap wood of equal thickness to keep things level and flat). Weigh down the top boards (directly above the sticks) with odds and ends from around the shop - tools boxes, cases, etc. It takes up some floor space that I'd like to use in other ways, but it's better than leaning it against a wall. I need to build an actual rack soon, but I've been getting by just fine like this for a while.