Greene and Greene Stain formula?

suiciedchild

In the process of building a Greene and Greene inspired coffee table out of genuine mahogany, And wanted to know if any has a particular formula for the stain typically found on original pieces or close to it. I have never dyed / stained anything of this size and I am not expirenced enough to be able to mix and match on my own, Darrell Peart's book has a general formula , but I'm also looking for a brand that someone has had good results with, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

There is a very good book on G&G. It has a section on the 'genuine' formula and [i seem to remember] a simpler substitute. The link for the book is: http://www.amazon.com/Greene-Design-Elements-Workshop/dp/0941936961/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330973108&sr=1-2 would suggest you pick-it-up. I has loads of good info.

Heads up - the stain that Darrell mentions in that book is no longer sold anywhere.

Yes I own the paperback of the book already , but like someone said, it's not availible anymore , I didn't even think to just google it , and yeah they are stained, I think if you let the mahogany naturally change, it would get at least close to it , but freshly milled tends ( at least in what I have) to be significantly lighter in color then the typical pictures you see online n in Darrel's book, even Marc's table from the William Ng school , one of the pics is them spray stain/dyeing it.

Yes I own the paperback of the book already , but like someone said, it's not availible anymore , I didn't even think to just google it , and yeah they are stained, I think if you let the mahogany naturally change, it would get at least close to it , but freshly milled tends ( at least in what I have) to be significantly lighter in color then the typical pictures you see online n in Darrel's book, even Marc's table from the William Ng school , one of the pics is them spray stain/dyeing it.

Its definately still available if its #43 as stated in the blog. I just bought 5 pounds of it. The alternative method is GF dye stain mix and they also are still available. You can also easily darken it with just BLO, doesnt get as dark but closer.

003%20%28Medium%29.JPG?m=1324913050

If I recall correctly, Darrell recommends 7 pts General Finishes Orange and 4 parts Medium Brown Dye Stain. I did that formula for a couple G&G pieces. They are a little dark for my taste so next time I might experiment a little on dye mixes.

I think original G&G used Potassium Dichromate which I understand is pretty nasty stuff.

Yes i did find the #43 on the w.d. Lockwood website and will be going with that I think. I had applied some BLO to a couple cut off pieces and it really didn't affect it at all colorwise :huh:, ok now there is another total newbie question, how far does an 1 oz. go? I know diluted into a quart of water seems like alot, and i will probably buy a couple onces to be safe, I dont want to get halfway through a piece and run out and have to wait for more to be delivered, So i guess for your project Dwacker, how many oz. 's di you use ? Like i said this is my first go at this dyeing business, It doesn't seem that exspensive per oz. but at the same time i dont want to buy so much it will take me a year or two to use the rest.

The table posted above is only blo and arm r seal. The dye will go long ways. If i was going to spray it on a table the size of the one above id mix 1.5 pints assuming your using water. If you measure in grains it doesnt matter if you under mix. Grain measurement is easily repeatable.

Don

• 3 years later...

If I recall correctly, Darrell recommends 7 pts General Finishes Orange and 4 parts Medium Brown Dye Stain. I did that formula for a couple G&G pieces. They are a little dark for my taste so next time I might experiment a little on dye mixes.

I think original G&G used Potassium Dichromate which I understand is pretty nasty stuff.

Jerry, I'm bringing this one alive since I know your still around. Do you happen to have a picture of the project you used the 7to4 mix on? I'm about to start messing around with ratios on the orange/brown for a g&g inspired project.

Nice thanks. I didn't know Marc built The Aurora nightstand. I love that thing.

I'm going to start playing around tonight. I would like to add a few drops of red dye also to give it a smudge of red.

Yeah I'd love to build the Aurora one day.

As I read it more closely, Marc added one part yellow, but he said it didn't change it very much. Actually if you're a guild member I believe he did a live session experimenting with Greene and greene stains during the G&G blanket chest project.

Edit: here it is. https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/guild-meetings/blanket-chest-design-changes-gg-dye-recipes/

I made a few mini tester mixtures last night. A few being 8 different samples The best stand out by far for me was a 50-50 medium brown to orange plus 2 drops of red trans tint.

After I throw a few coasts of ARS on it, I'll make a final call but that wins without a top coat

I guess I'm too old to change. GM will darken & look superior IMHO to any stain job I can imagine. When it darkens on it's own it has the rich , deep, lovely mahogany look  most folks love. stain just flattens the look to me..muddies it up.  IMHO

Jerry, I'm bringing this one alive since I know your still around. Do you happen to have a picture of the project you used the 7to4 mix on? I'm about to start messing around with ratios on the orange/brown for a g&g inspired project.

Check out the pictures in this project showcase for a small dining table. Used that recipie on African Mahogany.

I did note you are talking Genuine Mahogany. Darrell Peart who recommended this mix builds Greene & Greene from African Mahogany as do I. So we are a little disconnected on this one.

Thanks for the response jerry. I tried a few different mixes on a decent sized test piece and decided I liked a 50-50 orange to medium brown best. I stained the peeve and hated it on the actual box so it has been hand sanded back and I'm back at the thinking phase. I'm very tempted to just Arm R Seal it a few times and let the wood naturally do its thing.