baok

Wooden Hand Plane

7 posts in this topic

Well, I've been using google+ to tell this story but it seems to be dwindling in popularity. So I'll put it here.

I bought David Finck's book on plane-making and am almost done with my first one. Made of walnut that a friend harvested from the tree fall of a huge ice storm back in 2007.

I first wedges the iron I last night and tried it out. It made shavings so that's encouraging.

Photos to follow.

Looking forward to this. I too want to make some planes of my own.

Update: Just ordered the book you mentioned, thanks for that!

I am sort of still in the process of making a block plane and a smoother myself. By that I mean they work but I haven't shaped them to their final form. I've been using the heck out of the block plane already even though there's sharp edges and dowels sticking out all over the place :lol: It was a pretty funny moment to use the still-rough-cut block plane to start flattening the bottom of the smoother.

I found the plans for that plane online a few years back! I even ought the wood just havent bought the iron! Where did you get the iron? Are you happy with the finished product? Sure looks nice!

I bought my iron from David Finck off his website. It's a hard steel and so takes a bit of time to sharpen but it cuts well. I have yet to resharpen it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Miter Saw Thoughts
      Pretty neat idea Pug!  That is one of the benefits of having a smaller shop for sure!
    • Miter Saw Thoughts
      I don't think I would buy the CT for just the miter saw, but rather if I decided to buy more Festool tools.  Dust collection is still very uncertain, completely new shop and I will probably want to add a real dust collector for larger tools. I suggest the 12 inch Bosch for the following reasons: 1. Greater capacity than the 10 inch Kapex, which is the reason you stated in the OP for upgrading your saw. 2. The trim work is a one time use, after which your needs change significantly. If you're like many woodworkers, the miter saw is mainly to break down long stock in preparation for the table saw. 3. If it's finding a permanent spot in your shop, you can build a station including a dust collection shroud. (No saw mods required). 4. Take the money you saved and invest in the biggest DC you can afford. With a basement shop, this should be high priority anyways, and properly sized should be able to provide the CFMs for the aforementioned shroud. While I enjoy my Kapex, it's been underutilized since getting more into woodworking as I rely on my table saw for precison crosscutting.
    • Color the Grain (dye/pigment/stain) Mahogany
      Dashboy, I am offering suggestions based on my limited experience doing this on woods OTHER than mahogany, so a grain of salt is in order. So is a test piece. I suggested a sealer coat because you indicated that you did not want the full surface darkened, only the grain pores. Others have suggested that mahogany is very absorbent, so perhaps this won't work very well. I also suggested a gel type stain, rather than a liquid stain, because it will act more like a filler, but without completely filling in the texture, which is what I assume you want. Taking the other comments to heart, I think they are correct. Mahogany pores are not extremely large / deep, so if you try to seal the surface, you will mostly fill the pores with the sealer. Just use the colored pore filler as suggested above, as it appears to be the accepted practice for this application.
    • Store display unit.
      Holly cow!  Looks at all those pocket screws! Looks great bud!  Perfect piece for its intended use!
    • walnut or cherry?
      difference is actually closer to 250, but i wanted to account for an extra board for selection. Table is not huge, but about 72"L x 18"w x 30"h. Legs will need 8/4, and ill prob need to buy an 96"x 6" to get 8/4 walnut. haha, no. would need to travel to get it.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting