baok

Wooden Hand Plane

7 posts in this topic

Well, I've been using google+ to tell this story but it seems to be dwindling in popularity. So I'll put it here.

I bought David Finck's book on plane-making and am almost done with my first one. Made of walnut that a friend harvested from the tree fall of a huge ice storm back in 2007.

I first wedges the iron I last night and tried it out. It made shavings so that's encouraging.

Photos to follow.

Looking forward to this. I too want to make some planes of my own.

Update: Just ordered the book you mentioned, thanks for that!

I am sort of still in the process of making a block plane and a smoother myself. By that I mean they work but I haven't shaped them to their final form. I've been using the heck out of the block plane already even though there's sharp edges and dowels sticking out all over the place :lol: It was a pretty funny moment to use the still-rough-cut block plane to start flattening the bottom of the smoother.

I found the plans for that plane online a few years back! I even ought the wood just havent bought the iron! Where did you get the iron? Are you happy with the finished product? Sure looks nice!

I bought my iron from David Finck off his website. It's a hard steel and so takes a bit of time to sharpen but it cuts well. I have yet to resharpen it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Finish for outdoor cedar
      The good thing about this Sikkens on outdoor wood is that towards it's end of life, you can pressure wash it back down to bare wood.  You can't do that with varnish, with or without CPES under it.
    • Hijack!
      I have taken classes in journalistic wring, business writing and traditional college writing/lit classes.  The traditional college writing classes reinforce a lot of bad habits, in my opinion.   In my college English classes we were taught to use complicated sentence structures, with multiple independent and dependent clauses.  I believe they confused "sophisticated" for "complicated."   My business writing classes then undid all the damage caused by my English profs.  Business writing is more like journalism - you start with the conclusion or most important stuff and then follow with the details.   In the old days of print journalism, a reporter had no idea how much space the paper would have for his story.   Thefore, reporters wrote in an inverted triangle format.  All the important stuff is in the lead paragraph.  A page or copy editor could cut the story after any single paragraph and the story would still make sense.   Many of us fall into the academic writing trap.  We want to build a sense of drama or climax, so we wait until the end to communicate the important details.  TLDNR is a great acronym.      
    • You're acting like a real bench.
      That makes much better sense. The mortise is a right angle hole. I was envisioning something like mortises shaped like an L&7 with only the tails connecting or something. I do'nt think that would work with this though because I'm using a rectangular shaped piece, not square. I'd need one longer tenon and the jigs I made result in 3/4" tenons, max. Thanks for dumbing that down though. It's a cool technique and I'll give it a shot sometime.
    • Stickered cherry wood, now streaks
      it should sand out fairly easily.   Literally a pass or two with 220 on your ROS should do the trick.  If not, back up to 180.  The darkening is very superficial.   Looks like you have some other dents/milling marks too.  A drop of water and a hot iron might help those.  After that, sand the whole panel.  
    • Stickered cherry wood, now streaks
      I have some cherry boards that I milled, glued up, and surfaced about 6 months ago. (We bought a house and moved.) Now I'm ready to continue with this project now that I have some more time. I left the cherry stickered in the corner of my shop. When I got it out today I noticed the wood stickers prevented the cherry from aging where they contacted the boards. I'm ready to move on to finishing but I'm not sure if these "streaks" will go away. I was going to sand everything with 220 but now I'm wondering if I should hand plane these un-aged spots out. Will they always be there if I finish over top? Or will these even out quickly? Going to stick a board in the sun and see what happens. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room