Magic Cedar Greying Recipe

esbauer68

Creating an aged look on wood is easy!

Sherwin Williams sells a powder product called "LifeTime Wood Treatment" that is mixed with water then applied to the wood. It can be sprayed on with a small pump sprayer or brushed on. It achieves it's best look if exposed to the sun and it continues to change over the next few months as well.

You can apply it let it dry and monitor the effect. If you think it needs more, just apply another coat.

Here is the link to the product: LifeTime Wood Treatment

As stated, the local Sherwin Williams store in here in Billings, MT sells it but if your store does not, with the link provided you can track it down.

The thing that makes material not look old is the fact it is freshly milled & smooth. For a more authentic aged look on projects I have it lightly sand blasted.

The fast growth soft rings blast away faster than the hardwood rings and this gives it a weathered texture. Then the LifeTime product is applied. This is a winning combination for creating an aged look.

This is the standard method for creating new projects that look aged in the remodeling and construction industry.

I've never used the product mentioned above, and I did once try the baking soda trick but with little success.

But I have used the steel wool in vinegar trick with some success. Tear off a few pieces of 0000 steel wool and cover with vinegar (I used white, but some people suggest cider vinegar) and leave for at least a day. Some suggest leaving the lid on, but I removed the lid and had better success. (The reaction between the steel wool and the vinegar creates hydrogen, so remove the lid carefully if you use it.) Remove the wool and strain out any left over bits. Apply with a brush or rag. Let it dry. You will see graying over the next hour or so and even more over time. I found that the graying/silvering was more even than I was looking for, so I came back with some fine sandpaper and knocked some areas down to reveal shades of the original color. You can darken the silver with multiple applications.

As I understand it this process actually oxidizes the wood, mimicking the natural aging process. Worked for me and I bet you've already got steel wool and vinegar kicking around somewhere.

• 3 months later...

I've got a batch of steel wool and vinegar sitting that's been cooking for almost a year. I'm actually afraid to open the lid, because the gasses have caused it to dome out badly.

(And before anybody starts complaining about me forgetting about the vinegar, there were several months of car repairs involved. I simply couldn't get to the vinegar, because it was stored somewhere else.)

One thing I've heard of to match the age of existing items is to acquire other material the same age. For cedar fencing, I'd check to see if anybody else has any cedar fencing they are removing that is close to that age. Then the process of age-matching is easier. (not simple, because nothing I touch is ever simple.)