Table Saw Recommendations?

PG_Woodworker

Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum but have watched all of the TWW videos (some episodes many, many times:) I'm a newbie woodworker, with my first project being a birch plywood murphy wall-bed, built using only a circular saw and router power tools.

I'm beginning to really enjoy WW as a hobby and think its about time I get a table saw. What table saw would you recommend for the entry-level hobbyist ? I would like to build coffee tables, bookcases, bed frames and probably do some home reno's too.

Thanks in advance!

post-6699-0-03829500-1332031362_thumb.jp

post-6699-0-33912900-1332031369_thumb.jp

how much money do you have to spend? That would make a big difference as to what answer you get a small portable sidewinder saw would be your cheapest choice also the least features of all the saws avalable, a contractors saw would be your next step up in price and quality, and if you have a grand or three you step up to the cabinet saw catagory and now were talking about the cadalac's they have all the bells and whistles also you'll need to have a 220 circut to plug into. Also do want a new saw, or used if you choose used you can get a saw for a lot less, but you might be buying someone elses headache. Throw out a price range and you'll get a lot of information to help you make an educated choice.

I'd say my price range is $500-$1500 with a 220V circuit available. I'm really more interested in the quality of the saw, since I'd hope it could last me at least 5 years. New is nice since there's a warranty and all, but I'm not opposed to buying used as long as it's a high-quality make that's not prone to having problems.

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend a table saw for a entry level woodworker. I would bypass the worksite and possibly the contractor table saws and save your money until you're ready for a cabinet table saw. There are substitutes to having a table saw, as you know after building that murphy bed.

If you don't have a 14" or 16" band saw, I'd suggest getting that before a table saw. Combine that with your circular saw for cutting down sheet goods, and a router for making dadoes, and you've got all the functionality that you can get from an entry level table saw.

ps- I saw your first reply after posting this, if you have 220v and $1500 you can get into a good cabinet saw. I'm leaning towards a SawStop, but would look at a Delta Unisaw if you don't care about that feature and want a cheaper price of entry.

• Like 1

Let me preface this post by saying I am a hobby/home owner woodworker with very limited space so my scenario may not be the same as yours.

I have to say that although I have a Rigid TS3650 that I really like and used a lot for the last 6 - 7 years, I find myself only using it now with a crosscut sled or for if I need to do repeatable, narrow rip cuts. Router works way better for me now making dados and rabbits and a circular saw, straight edge and a good plywood blade are easier to use for plywood breakdown then using the tablesaw and I can get the same clean cut I do with the tablesaw using the right blade.

I guess I'm saying, there are a lot of ways to skin the cat. I bought into the whole "Tablesaw is the center of the shop" mentality early on but I think I'm moving away from it and more into hand tools (manual and power) over stationary tools. The one exception being a bandsaw for resawing and rip cuts. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a tablesaw, I'm just saying you may want to evaluate the need a little and determine what you want to do and things like space available and how it will help you.

You might find you only need a portable (I recommend Bosch in portables, just well made and very well thought out) or you may decide you want to go full cabinet tablesaw (Unisaw, PM 2000, SawStop ICS, etc) or maybe you fall in between (contractor/hybrid) or decide to just upgrade to better hand tools for what you are doing. I think knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought a jointer or my tablesaw and would have invested in a better/bigger bandsaw and a tracksaw and reclaimed some space in my small one car garage. Probably going to go that way eventually as money and circumstances permit anyway.

Just a different view for you to think about. I like having a tablesaw sometimes but more and more lately I find it is not necessary for my hobby/home owner stuff... and sometimes it's a downright pain when I have to move it around to find a good spot that I can crosscut a long piece or have room in front or behind to feed a piece though. I might feel differently if I had a 3 car garage or a barn or something as a workshop...

I'm sure I'm in a very lonely minority on this one though :)

-Jim

The Grizzly saw is right in your price range. The one caveat is that you can't just buy a table saw, you also have to buy a decent combination blade, dado stack, good miter gauge, feather boards and other safety equipment. If you don't have dust collection than possibly a dust collector. You could be looking at another $500 on top of your table saw. If I was in your exact situation I would get a Festool TS55, MFT/3 and an OF1010 or OF1400.

I went with the Bosch 4100 when I was starting out and it's a fine saw, for a jobsite saw. That said, it has limitations that I would have passed on in hindsight. The low weight means that it's not very stable when cutting sheetgoods, and the aluminum table rules out using magnetic jigs. I have overcome those limitations by buying a TS55 for breaking down sheetgoods, and have a Jet 14" bandsaw for other cuts. I use the tablesaw for repeat cuts and a dado stack, but could use other tools to achieve the same results. I'm thinking of replacing it with a SawStop, but not in a hurry.

• Like 1

I can echo everything that Texfire said. I had a Bosch 4100, and I liked it a lot. I especially liked the riving knife with attached blade guards and anti-kickback pawls. I used a circular saw for breaking down sheet goods, then did the final cuts on the table saw. I replaced the Bosch with a SawStop contractor saw, because I wanted a larger table, cast iron table, and the "flesh sensing" safety feature.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic. This extra first-hand information is exactly what I was hoping for and now have a much better idea of what fits my personal situation.

For now, I'm going to hold off on the table-saw purchase. I really value the safety of a SawStop, but it would mean saving up much longer. Instead I think the money is better spent getting a good track saw, bandsaw, and router. I think this combo will give me the most safety, versatility, and space as I start out too.

Maybe a few years down the road when I've got more dedicated garage space I'll get a table saw. Who knows, by then maybe brands like Powermatic, Delta, & Grizzly will even have their own "sawstop" feature.

Thanks again for your time and input - much appreciated!

Here's an even different perspective to consider, and please don't take it the wrong way...my intent is to help. Within 24 hours you've gone from being willing to spend up to $1500 on a good table saw, to thinking a track saw, BS, and router are your best bet. That's a huge shift from yesterday's goal. We don't always get 2nd chances on big purchases like this, and many of us don't make the best choice the first time around. Since you've gone through such a big change of heart, I'd suggest waiting a while longer to be sure you're not making a choice you'll regret. It's easier to come up with money for smaller items like routers, but harder to fund big items like a TS.

With $1500 in my budget, I'd personally get something like a Grizzly G1023RL for $1349 to your door....there's not a better new saw in that price range IMO. It's all the saw I'll ever need, but my preferences may not be the same as yours.

• Like 1

My first table saw was a gift: "I'm cleaning our my garage, you want this?" I hadn't really thought about a table saw, but once I had one, I started using it a lot. The fence was broken, and it didn't have any guards, so I bought an inexpensive saw that had a working fence and a splitter and a guard. I used that one a lot, but was really annoyed that the miter slots wouldn't take standard fitting, the splitter would sometimes be out of alignment with the blade, and the table was tiny. So I bought the Bosch 4100 refurb, and loved it. Until I started cutting larger sheets of plywood, and accidentally nicked my finger on the blade (yes, I had removed the guard. Looking back, I don't remember why I removed the guard. Something about the fence being too close to the blade.) That's when I bought the Sawstop.

I don't consider any of those saws to be a mistake. They helped me to realize how much I was willing to spend, what features were important to me, and which weren't.

Knotscott hit the nail on the head; I wouldn't spend $1500 on anything until you've had a chance to figure out what you really want. Is there any way you could get some shop time with someone else's tools, or rent tools?

Even with a table saw, you'll probably still want a circular saw, router, and band saw, so buying those wouldn't be the worst move. You can do a lot with a circular saw and router if you take the time to set up guides (MDF works well).

Also, here's I made in an earlier discussion on buying tablesaws. Also, I think rmac came up with the best answer to this question.

• Like 1

I can echo everything that Texfire said. I had a Bosch 4100, and I liked it a lot. I especially liked the riving knife with attached blade guards and anti-kickback pawls. I used a circular saw for breaking down sheet goods, then did the final cuts on the table saw. I replaced the Bosch with a SawStop contractor saw, because I wanted a larger table, cast iron table, and the "flesh sensing" safety feature.

Have you liked the SawStop? I've used their cabinet version and have been thinking of getting the contractor one for my little shop. Would it work on a mobile base?

Have you liked the SawStop? I've used their cabinet version and have been thinking of getting the contractor one for my little shop. Would it work on a mobile base?

I got mine with the mobile base, cast iron wings, and 52" rails. I can move it by myself by lowering the wheels and then picking up the ends of the rails and moving it like a wheel-barrow, over a reasonably flat concrete floor. It's easier with a second person to lift the outfeed table. If I was going to move it often, I'd use a free standing outfeed table.

The Sawstop is far and away the best saw I've ever used - but I'm only comparing it to the Bosch 4100 and bottom end saws. I haven't cut very hard woods with it, but I could easily rip 3" thick poplar with a thin kerf 24 tooth rip blade.

I'd buy it again - no question.

However, I wish I had priced out all the options and accessories I wanted, and then compared that price to the higher end Sawstops with the same options.

• Like 1

Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum but have watched all of the TWW videos (some episodes many, many times:) I'm a newbie woodworker, with my first project being a birch plywood murphy wall-bed, built using only a circular saw and router power tools.

I'm beginning to really enjoy WW as a hobby and think its about time I get a table saw. What table saw would you recommend for the entry-level hobbyist ?

I'm not going to be of much help regarding table saw recommendations, as I don't have one myself, but I would like to say that if you can make a Murphy bed like that with the tools you have, you're way beyond the entry-level hobbyist stage.

So get the best table saw (or set of other tools) that you can afford.

• Like 1

Not at all knotscot - I'm just in the middle of engineering exams. Going to need a good job if I want an expensive hobby:)

I took some time to reconsider my project needs, desire for mobility, and available space, I've decided that a cabinet table saw probably isn't the right thing for me now. Instead, I believe I'll get much more satisfaction from a different set of items (bandsaw, router & tracksaw).

I suppose I had this preconception that the table saw was a "must-have" woodworking power tool. (Probably from the stereotypical "cover-shot" of a bearded guy in a plaid shirt running a piece through the saw:) I'm learning that idea isn't true at all; the tools one "needs" depends much more on the personal scenario and criteria.

Thanks again to each of you who contributed - very helpful!

This will be my last post on this thread, but I'll be sure to give an update down the road once I make the purchase. Cheers!

post-6699-0-31882900-1332439836_thumb.jp