Powermatic mobile base

MLHE

I purchased a mobile base for a used Powermatic model 66 10in saw with the 50" ext. I could not believe how awful the Powermatic base was and cannot believe that Powermatic has attached their name to it, this thing could seriously damage their brand. Thankfully the vendor I purchased it from has an excellent return policy. The base has the following issues: frame flexes and bounces under the weight of the saw, cheap casters, design requires the modification of the saw (or substantial shimming -2") for a functioning dust port.

My limited shop space requires that I can find, or make, a mobile base for this saw or put it back on Craigslist. Has anyone found a mobile base they like which will work with the Powermatic? The Delta uni-saw base looks nice, does anyone have experience with it, and dimensions?

Thanks

Matt

Jet has some fantastic mobile bases; there are some that have an extension for a long wing, though I don't know the dimensions you need. I've purchased 3 heavy-duty bases and they were rock solid. The only complaint is that they use locking casters. Currently, my non-Jet mobile base for the jointer-planer sits on feet when you lower it, much like the integrated mobile base in the SawStop that lets the cabinet sit on the floor without wheels. The locking casters can wiggle, but not move.

In their defense the flex needs to happen. Its a cabinet saw an not made to move. A solid base causes cabinet flex which racks the cabinet. The top is bolted to the cabinet and is shimmed for a dead flat floor. If the base is more rigid than the saw and you have a rough floor the top would be out of wack. This is why machines that are truely designed to move have cast iron bases. Like the pm2000,pm 2700 and many others like generals. Mobile bases are not good for most cabinet saw and shapers even though the makers produce them.

Thanks Paul I will give them a closer look.

Dwacker thanks for your comments however the flexing I am experiencing does not seem intentional. I can literally bounce my saw with one finger as though it were on a set of springs. This is occurring at the bolt joint and not underneath the saw cabinet. I imagine most of this would be solved after one adds the fence and table to the stand but it seems like this would put stress on the rails which was not intended to be there. Additional the casters underneath the saw (and there "stop") are cheap and tinny. I just don't think Powermatic put much thought into the stand. Oh and the paint was skuffed to the point that it will probably rust.

Any rate, sorry for the tangent.

Has anyone put a cabinet saw on a base which caused damage?

Anyone have any base on a cabinet saw which relies on resting a portion of the weight on feet when not being moved?

Last year when I bought my new table saw a Grizzly 715 I bought the Rockler all terrain mobile base for it. This mobile base was more expensive, but I have grown to love it. It has 2 swivel casters that are fully locking and 2 fixed casters that are locking. With the locking casters it feels very solid, and doesn't move when it is locked down. The wheels are larger, and don't seem to mind the small gravel, and other debris that my previous table saw would get stuck on. If you can find it on sale I think it makes an excellent base, and I know there are extensions so that you can use it with a larger table. If you have any more questions please feel free to send me a message, and I will try and respond.