Workbench in Pressure Treated Lumber?

I am planning on building a woodworking workbench soon, and I'd like to know if using pressure treated lumber is an acceptable wood choice. I have an inventory of 2x4s and 4x6s already from the demolition of a porch after our home was destroyed in 2008 (Hurricane Gustav) and I would like to put that lumber to good use. I realize that pressure treated lumber is more corrosive than other materials, so I'd have to be extra careful in selecting and installing metals in contact with the lumber, like fasteners and the vises. Any help is appreciated.

I would not recommend using pressure treated lumber for a work bench. It contains chemicals that would make machining dangerous to you health with out wearing a respirator. Also pressure treated would is like you said corrosive and also not something that I would want coming in contact with unfinished or finished projects. I know it is something you have lying around but you might have to save it for a more appropriate project. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I would ONLY used PT lumber for what is is made for, contact or near contact with the ground or other possible wet surface. If you make the base for a potting bench and the top out of another material, I think you're OK.

(null)

When reading your original post, the first thing I thought of was "ain't no way I'd use that workbench." For all the reasons stated above. Second thing I thought of was a potting bench. So it's good to know I'm thinking normally.

I'd say that an outdoor potting bench, for occasional use, should be fine with pressure treated. I'd even say a garden trellis, for decorative use, or some general decorative touches, would be a good use for your material on hand.

But I'm not sure there's any other need to keep this stuff. I used some pressure treated a few years back to get rid of it, and ended up expanding the driveway by 20 percent. (my only wish was that I did it right... I only got 1 ton of gravel instead of the five I should have, didn't dig down 4 inches, didn't level, didn't put down the landscape fabric, and didn't plan it out. Still had a blast.) Problem was I couldn't figure out how to use the remaining scraps. They're still sitting on the back porch at the house, and eight tenants have rented the place after me.