milk paint

rodger.

It's a great finish. Very easy to use and it has tons more character than hardware store latex acrylic paints. The only way to get real milk paint is to mix it yourself from powder. It spoils after just a few days in liquid form. It's worth it though for the depth and character of the finish. The premixed stuff from companies like General is not real milk paint. It's latex paint formulated to have a sheen and color that simulates the look of real milk paint. In my opinion it doesn't even come close to the real thing though. The real stuff is slightly more effort (and by slightly I mean you have to mix it with water vs just opening a can) but its definitely worth it in my opinion. Here's z podcast I did on it

http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2011/11/episode-39-using-milk-paint/

• Like 2

The other posts are correct. It's not like the paint you think it may perform like. My personal experience was more negative than positive. I bought the barn red powder and i felt like i could have made the same thing from mixing food grade dye and water. If you are really trying the green thing go for it please let us know how it turns out! Below is the link to the company i purchased this from. By the way I also purchased a 32 oz bottle of the 100% pure tung oil and the stuff is Great! I did a walnut kitchen table with it and the stuff wears unbelievabley well. The table is 1 year old now and not one liquid stain yet!! Great stuff.

I didnt mean to get you riled up Bob! Just my opinion.

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products.html

No worries, not riled at all ;). Just providing an opinion from the other side of the coin. I'm just a big fan of the real stuff, not just because it's "green", but because I think it's a finish with a lot of life and character that actually improves with age. I'm not a fan of plain old latex paint for furniture. I think it's too uniform and lifeless and obscures the grain and beauty in the wood. Real milk paints lets the wood shine through. It soaks in instead of sitting on top. It doesn't provide protection like latex though and must be top coated after two or three coats of paint. It's definitely more work than canned paint. I think it's worth it though. Of course that's just my opinion. YMMV.

It's a great finish. Very easy to use and it has tons more character than hardware store latex acrylic paints. The only way to get real milk paint is to mix it yourself from powder. It spoils after just a few days in liquid form. It's worth it though for the depth and character of the finish. The premixed stuff from companies like General is not real milk paint. It's latex paint formulated to have a sheen and color that simulates the look of real milk paint. In my opinion it doesn't even come close to the real thing though. The real stuff is slightly more effort (and by slightly I mean you have to mix it with water vs just opening a can) but its definitely worth it in my opinion. Here's z podcast I did on it

http://logancabinets...ing-milk-paint/

Great site! I watched a few of his videos tonight. Thanks.

I just used milk paint for the first time. I think for the right project, it is wonderful. I really liked how easy it was to use and how fast it dried. I was going for an aged look, so I put a coat of black, sanded, then a coat of red, and sanded just enough to see some black poking through. I then shot it with some clear poly, because the color wasn't rich enough. Take a look at the picture to see.

I used the Old Fashioned Milk Paint powder. It did seem a little foamy, but it went on fine. You can get it on their site, Lee Valley and Woodcraft.

Jonathan

=====================================

secretarydesk001a.jpg

• Like 1