4 x 12 Doug Fir Workbench

Brohymn62

I made a bench from douglas fir a few years ago and made the mistake of not allowing proper drying time. It's still very stout but the shrinkage was massive, I had to rebore my dog holes. I have another bench underway from 4x6 beams, I let them dry for a few months after surfacing and cutting to rough dimensions and they're very stable now (actually started on this bench over a year ago...). I guess this is the long way to say I agree with Higtron.

Chris Schwarz is teaching a bench building class next week, they're using douglas fir so it might be helpful to follow along.

I recently came across (4) 4" x 12" x 16' doug fir beams and I was wondering if it would make a good workbench... anyone ever mill a workbench out of this type of material? Any challenges I might not be seeing?

I used some very old Fir timbers for mine. They were dry through and through. Very stable. The build is on my blog, if you'd like to see how it looks.

I'm hoping to embark on the same adventure: building a workbench from douglas fir timbers. So, unfortunately I can't help you with the question, but will say that although my timbers came from 10 years of storage - it was outside storage. Since being in the shop, they have certainly dropped in moisture content quite a bit - but it's taken a few months. So - chunk them into roughly sized pieces (or good enough to get in to the shop) - and find an out-of-the-way place to store for at least a few months before getting started.

I just checked my stack of doug fir in the workshop. Pretty cool to see the moisture dropping over time. So - it's been about 6 months and I suspect it's pretty equalized at this point; may have gotten there a bit sooner, I haven't checked in 4 months ;) The pins on the moisture meter only goes in about 1/2" or so, but I'm measuring pretty far from the end of the piece where most the moisture should be escaping "out the end grain", rather than "out the side" (through the growth rings) -- at least, that's my understanding.

I don't pay much attention to the actual readings, the moisture meter is just an OK one and I'm not calibrating it for species - although I guess it's set for Doug Fir ;) I just check to see when the numbers stop changing.