Festool-itis, Sanders

DeanJackson

I bought a Festool tracksaw, and dang, I'm impressed.

My sander died on me, and I'm looking to replace it with one or two new ones. Since the tracksaw was done well, I'm considering Festool here.

But they sell a *lot* of sanders. For woodworking/cabinetry/furniture, which sanders should I be looking at here?

As Paul mentioned - Festool has a sander for each type of use - so it really depends. But I'd generally look at the 5" and 6" random orbital sanders for furniture and woodworking. The ROTEX have very aggressive modes, but don't handle quite as smoothly IMO (due to weight distribution). So I'd start with the ETS125 or ETS150/3

For 5" or 6" id skip the fes and get a Mirka. Id at least go try one before making a decision. Hands down the nicest ro sander ive used.

Don

I second Don the Mirka's are so nice. They are like having a really good dynabrade with out hhaving a big compressor running all the time. That DC motor is so strong you could stand on the damn thing while it was runnning.

About 2 months ago, I was in the same situation that you were. I was pretty impressed with my first Festool purchases and I needed a new sander. I was also overwhelmed with the options. I chose an ETS 150/5 because I needed an "all around" basic sander for 90% of the sanding one typically does in a wood shop. Coulpled with the hard pad (which is manditory, really), it works quite well doing just about everything I need to do, is quiet, and is nearly dustless. With that, it didn't seem justifiable to spend the extra money (nearly twice as much) to buy a Rotex sander.

Dean. If you can spring the extra for the rotex 150 then buy it. When used with the correct heads it will do all of your larger sanding AND polishing projects with ease. Festools jetstream is a great invention. The rotex comes with it as standard (as do the two ETS machines) The rotex has a couple of drive settings, geared and eccentric. Geared for agresive and 5mm eccentric for fine work. It is easy to dissengage the jetstream and suction if you want to use it for polishing. It really is top of the heap in Festool's range.

Dean. If you can spring the extra for the rotex 150 then buy it. When used with the correct heads it will do all of your larger sanding AND polishing projects with ease. Festools jetstream is a great invention. The rotex comes with it as standard (as do the two ETS machines) The rotex has a couple of drive settings, geared and eccentric. Geared for agresive and 5mm eccentric for fine work. It is easy to dissengage the jetstream and suction if you want to use it for polishing. It really is top of the heap in Festool's range.

Spoken like a true tool salesman. :)

• Like 1