carcasse saws

haysflooring

I am looking to buy a new carcasse saw. I like the looks of the LN saws but I have never held one. I have a LV dovetail saw that is a good saw. I can get both a crosscut and a rip saw from LV for less than one from LN. For those that have used both types are the LN saws really that much better a saw? Thanks in advance.

LN aren't twice as good a saw, IMO. In terms of functionality, they are both awesome saws that'll do a fantastic job - I wouldn't say there's much difference there. So it's more a preference thing and some minor details. The LV saw are lighter weight with the polymer back (assuming you're looking at that style). LN are traditional saws and are heavier with the brass back.

I happen to prefer the LN for the looks, feel and weight. But in terms of sawing, you'll be really happy with either.

Thanks. Yes the polymer back saws are the ones I am looking at. The weight was one issue I was wondering about, I know my dovetail saw feels light but it still cuts very well. I am really needing a good small crosscut saw and I have not had any luck finding a usable old one. Right now I guess I am leaning towards the LV set. But those brass back LN's sure are pretty :)

I have an LN Dovetail saw and both of the LV Carcass saws(Crosscut and Rip). I don't see any difference in performance. I have wide hands with sausage fingers and both brands are comfortable to use, the LN being slightly more comfortable. The LN is prettier but the LV's are work horses. It's really up to personal preference.

Just another option, http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/component/virtuemart/saw-kits-and-parts/saw-parts.html sells either a whole saw, a kit, or just the parts. A couple yrs ago I built my dovetail saw after buying the saw plate, brass back, and nuts and couldn't be happier. You get to make it just the way you want it and save a bunch of $ in the process. When I did mine I think I paid just under $60, if you buy the saw ready to go directly from them it's about $130. I couldn't be happier with mine, just a thought.

Nate

I have owned both LN and LV saws and really there is not a huge difference between the two. The LN is little heavier due to the brass back and therefore requires a little less effort sawing a straight line. The LVs do have their limitations as far a cut depth is concerned. Get the LVs and when your ready to step up to a nicer saw spring for a custom saw from Bad Axe, Wenzloff and Sons or another boutique saw maker.