Grain Popping with 2 colors

Lvmedic3214@gmail.co

Marc, I recently watched your video about making figured wood POP. I am making a picture frame for my brother-in-law and I want to make it in two colors. He is a really big fan of the Detroit Tigers and my wife bought him a poster of an old newspaper headline from 1984 when they won the World Series. I got an Idea to make the frame Tiger striped. I thought I would use curly/tiger maple and first dye it with ebony to pop the grain then sand it down and dye it orange to look like a tiger. Do you have any recommendations for doing this procedure? I made a sample on a scrap piece to show you what I mean.

post-4126-0-96110900-1334910492_thumb.jp

I know this is marks section but thought i would butt in.

If you dye the orange first, lightly seal with vinyl sealer then sand the sealer flat, then apply the ebony but use blo as the dye carrier applied thick. Wipe back and smooth off with 0000 steel wool you will get a real nice orange and black affect.

Don

I will have to try that method Don. I don't like to question someone's methods without at least trying them first. But at first glance, this seems counter-intuitive to me. Putting black dye after you've already sealed seems like it would do two things (neither good): prevent complete absorption of the black dye (thus decreasing the striped effect) and also potentially smearing a dark hue over the entire surface. I have always found that you get the best bang for your buck if you apply your darkest color to the raw wood first, since ultimately the deeper the color the more intense the effect. I'm curious to hear more about your logic.

I will have to try that method Don. I don't like to question someone's methods without at least trying them first. But at first glance, this seems counter-intuitive to me. Putting black dye after you've already sealed seems like it would do two things (neither good): prevent complete absorption of the black dye (thus decreasing the striped effect) and also potentially smearing a dark hue over the entire surface. I have always found that you get the best bang for your buck if you apply your darkest color to the raw wood first, since ultimately the deeper the color the more intense the effect. I'm curious to hear more about your logic.

It does seema bit backwards but this is what you get. Ive only done it with oil but works well. Not sure how it would work with water or alchol. Actually I stole the idea from a pro finisher.

do you think one of you guys could do a compairson of the two i would play with it but i dont have any dye or realy much in the way of finishes just started geting into mixing and matching stuff. would like to see how they differ and which methos would look better.

do you think one of you guys could do a compairson of the two i would play with it but i dont have any dye or realy much in the way of finishes just started geting into mixing and matching stuff. would like to see how they differ and which methos would look better.

I dont have any contrasting oil soluble die but will place a order next week. Wont be orange but burnt umber is close enough and on my order list.

I dont have any contrasting oil soluble die but will place a order next week. Wont be orange but burnt umber is close enough and on my order list.

thanks don im actuly excited about seeing the difference.............god i got to get out of the shop and go on a date.

I was doing a walnut/ maple and oak box some time ago and I noticed I had not scrubbed down the oak wood as well as the others. When I went to rub my finish on I noticed I was literally directing the grain of the oak the direction it seemed, I wanted it. What really happened aeaters neat and kind of embarrasing, is that the dirt/ grime underneath the finish was indeed being pushed where I wanted it. It "popped," hate that term, really well and my niece does not have to know her uncle was too lazy to wash the wood correctly. Lesson learned though.

Hey Robert looking good! Ya figured it out, perfect. Being from Michigan myself...looks like you may of found a niche making Tigers pictures frames. ;)

Orange can be a tough color. To keep perfecting you color, could start out by mixing a little (very little) red dye into yellow dye. Keep going till you get that orange. Maybe add a little black dye to cool it down some.

Hey Robert looking good! Ya figured it out, perfect. Being from Michigan myself...looks like you may of found a niche making Tigers pictures frames. ;)

Orange can be a tough color. To keep perfecting you color, could start out by mixing a little (very little) red dye into yellow dye. Keep going till you get that orange. Maybe add a little black dye to cool it down some.

I just used General Finishes orange dye and ebony dye. I'm sure you can experiment with mixing colors but this is my first attempt at using dye. I am liking the results of using dye rather than stain. I finished it with several coats of spray can lacquer gloss. I like lacquer vs polyurethane because it dries quicker and you don't have to sand in between. Thank you for the compliment.