Suggestions for grinding wheel brand

Zignot5

Ive been reading through the grinding wheel wobble posts.

I've got a grinder (6" wheels w 1/2" arbor) & am in the market to purchase new wheels for sharpening blades & chisels. I plan on using it for removing stock on chipped blades & initial stage sharpening.

I've seen so many bad reviews about the norton wheels, but the reviews were't on a woodworking forum.

Can anyone suggest a good brand based on experience?

Should I get more than one grit?

I have been using the Norton white wheels myself. However, I am considering changing one of them out to a diamond wheel. I would use the Norton wheel for shaping and removing defects and the diamond for actual sharpening. Keep in mind I use mine primarily for my turning tools.

croessler,

Don't do this, you can't use a diamond wheel on materials containing carbon at bench grinder speeds. I for get what the process is called, but basically the heat build up, causes the carbon to migrate from the diamonds to the steel, destroying the wheel. This topic is covered a lot in metal working forums.

I have been using the Norton white wheels myself. However, I am considering changing one of them out to a diamond wheel. I would use the Norton wheel for shaping and removing defects and the diamond for actual sharpening. Keep in mind I use mine primarily for my turning tools.

i didnt like the norton wheel i got one and it wobbled tried it on two seperate grinders. thought maybe the shaft was warped but the wheel it came with worked great on both grinders. ended up sending it back and geting another same problem maybe it is me but i had no luck with norton white wheel. in the past the regular stone wheel worked fine.

croessler,

Don't do this, you can't use a diamond wheel on materials containing carbon at bench grinder speeds. I for get what the process is called, but basically the heat build up, causes the carbon to migrate from the diamonds to the steel, destroying the wheel. This topic is covered a lot in metal working forums.

Dan S,

That's necessarily true; I use a dedicated slow speed grinder not a standard bench grinder for this exact reason.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt like the norton wheel i got one and it wobbled tried it on two seperate grinders. thought maybe the shaft was warped but the wheel it came with worked great on both grinders. ended up sending it back and geting another same problem maybe it is me but i had no luck with norton white wheel. in the past the regular stone wheel worked fine.

Me too, disappointed in what used to be the best wheel on the market. Out of the last three 8" wheels I bought only one was flat and all were out-of-round. :angry:

Sucks.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

If you go through iTunes, look for the term "woodworking online." (This goes to Woodsmith Shop's older podcast.)

episode 37: turning tools. This primarily deals with sharpening tools for use on the lathe, but they also cover the grinder and wheels. Specifically addressing the (in my opinion) relevant topics raised, check out time index 4:48 (wheel / stone types) and time index 1:09:20~ish (wheel balancing).

I realize this podcast topic is for turning tools primarily, but there is decent information on sharpening, sharpening stones, grinding, grinding wheels, and honing - all of which can be applied to much of our other wood working areas.

This podcast happens to be copyrighted 2007, so it's a little on the old side for quality of footage, but the material is something I go back to often. (I don't always watch it straight through, though.) This particular podcast never leaves my iPod.... not that my iPod stays charged long enough for me to use it now that I need to replace headphones...

I just want to thank everyone for the input. I bought a pair of norton wheels (100 & 150 grit) & I've given my first chipped chisel a mirror-finish. The grinding wheels made it much easier & faster. Now I just need an angle guide for it!

Thanks again everyone!