Google is getting rid of Sketchup

MSketcher

Google has announced that it will be selling Sketchup to Trimble, a technology company based out of California. They say that everything will remain as is for the time being. They will support a free version, and still let you upload to the 3D warehouse and to Google Earth. Who knows what this means for the long term.

The unofficial info source for Trimble Sketchup news is it www.TrimbleSketchup.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The current versions will continue to work, so there's no reason to go back to pencil and paper just yet. Time will tell what Trimble intends to do with it. Even if Trimble do decide to make future editions of the software pay only, your current Google versions will still be free.

As for tablet versions I don't see an advantage - I like using a big monitor to design stuff. What advantage do you see that I don't?

As for tablet versions I don't see an advantage - I like using a big monitor to design stuff. What advantage do you see that I don't?

At least for me, the big advantage would be using it easier in the shop. And, assuming they made it user friendly, I'm guessing a tablet would be a great place to view your designs (though probably a horrible place to make your designs)

At least for me, the big advantage would be using it easier in the shop. And, assuming they made it user friendly, I'm guessing a tablet would be a great place to view your designs (though probably a horrible place to make your designs)

I'm as much of a fan of computers as the next guy, but when I go to my shop, I prefer to have paper I can doodle on. I'm not a very good draftsman though, so I use SketchUp to do the basic design, print it out and then go to the shop with it. I guess if I were better with Sketchup I might not even need to print it out (or doodle on it). I have a PC in the shop so if I need to re-examine the original I've got that too.

• 4 weeks later...

I use AutoCAD mostly and I do use SketchUp here and there. The biggest reason i don't use it as much is i don't have a viewer or editor for my iPhone or iPad which i do with AutoCAD. And the simplicity of SketchUp brought to a tablet would allow me to draw up a quick but nice concept for a client. Also would allow me to use other things I have on my iPad such as Adobe Ideas to add said concept to an image of the room they want the project in. The tablet and smart phone are a huge part of planning the job now for me.

• 7 months later...

I've been using SketchUp for years. The sale to Trimble doesn't seem to have impacted my practice.

Even the latest version runs well on my desktop.

By the way, I'd like to see an easier way to post a photo on this board.

Don "Dances with Wood" Butler

I've been using SketchUp for years. The sale to Trimble doesn't seem to have impacted my practice.

Even the latest version runs well on my desktop.

By the way, I'd like to see an easier way to post a photo on this board.

Don "Dances with Wood" Butler

Suggestions on "easier" ?