I used to use them when they were still known as Festo, which still exists, as world leaders in pneumatic/electrical automation equipment - if you didn't already know they are a German company. That was over 25 years ago and they had the professional powertool market back then - they were and still are very well known in Europe (I believe they were founded back in the early 1920s). The "Festool" company came about when they divided the businesses into automation (Festo) and powertools (Festool) about 15 years ago - that's when the green colour started to be used. Festool's quite well justified popularity has grown in recent years by many woodworking publications/websites/word of mouth/good marketing ever since. I don't currently own any Festool products but still have a few Festo products (not powertools) kicking around in the shop somewhere. So bottom line is I have known about them for a long, long time - way before this forum or TWW was created.
I saw a project on Woodsmith's Shop that intrigued me. Didn't like it as it was (not my style of decor) but I thought I could play with it. Here is the original design.
I decided to lose the decorative tile, add a port in the top, and a curved chute to direct sound out through the hole where the tile was in the original. Used cherry with maple for the clock face with walnut little accents and some oak veneer stained black for the chute. First mortise and tenon work I have done. Hand cut.
Held the top on with rare earth magnets so it could be removed for clock adjustments and battery replacement. Back is 1/4 inch Baltic birch. I altered the shape of the top a bit to give it a touch of Asian look as Arts and Crafts doesn't work in our house. Finished with Danish oil and wipe on poly, then wax. Not at all pleased with the finish. Blotchy like crazy although cut offs used for tests and the interior did not have that problem. I hope it will even out from light. My first use of cherry. So much to learn. The color isn't really as orangey weird as it looks in the pictures. I think that was a trick of lighting.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have previously built an A style mandolin and a fretless electric bass. I mainly play bass, which I majored in back in undergrad days, but branch out these days as I am retired from music although I still work as a teacher.
I saw Jake Shimabukuro a while back and was inspired to build a tenor ukulele. Decided on figured maple for the body, hard maple for the neck, spruce top, and bubinga for the binding. Found a nice piece of maple for the back and used a friend's big bandsaw to resaw it as mine is too little. Glued the pieces and hit with mineral spirits to see the grain:
Got the sides bent with a heated tube setup that I failed to get pics of. The put them together, put in kerfing which I bought from Stew Mac, and fastened the back and sides with glue:
I made eight different necks and couldn't ever get them right out of the hard maple so I tried some mahogany which shaped up much more readily. Made some spruce pieces for the bracing.
Attached the top and then routed the edges and glued on the binding. Then attached the neck. Then the fretboard and bridge. Finished it with amber shellac.
All of a sudden I can't find the overall finished shot. I will add that later. It sounds way better than I thought it would and has really nice sustain.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk