Oak Changing Table

sjwoodturn

Here is my first "real" woodworking project I finally was able to complete. It is made completely of Oak (plywood with hardwood trim). Turning each of the spindles took much longer than I had expected. I learned a lot of little things from this project which I will carry on into future projects I have planned. I'm pleased with the outcome of this, but don't hesitate to let me know what I did wrong. I'm here to learn!

post-1552-083691200 1283453667_thumb.jpg

I'll break the ice on this one. I like the basic design, and am thinking about how to do a changing table myself, but I'm not quite sure I understand everything about your project yet. Are you planning on resting this on some other piece of furniture? It seems like you'll be doing a lot of changing from your knees.

I'd like to see a bit more about the details. How did you do the joinery? Can we get some closeups of the spindles? What is the finish? Where do you think you went wrong. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I'm still new to this. First of all, we have a dresser that this will be sitting on. I made the box underneath mostly to raise it up so that it was the perfect hight for my wife, also will allow for storage of diapers and wipes. I used rabbit joints throughout. The finish is an oil based oak stain that my father in law used on a dresser set he made for us (the wife wanted it to match, go figure). I'll get a close up picture posted of the spindles so you can see. Things that went wrong (what I learned): stain brought out a lot of little flaws (pay more attention to quality of sanding before applying finish), also some parts are more stain rich than others (apply stain more evenly), with my limited tools I had some issues making trim along top match perfectly with the plywood (buy more tools!!!), other than that I feel the project is a success overall.

• 3 months later...

I think it's a fine utilitarian piece. What are the plugs covering? Good job on all those spindles. I don't own a lathe...probably won't for a LONG time. I've got a very addictive personality and would end up ignoring the entire shop and collect other peoples firewood.