Sliding bevel gauge

jab73180

I am looking for a good sliding bevel gauge. I hate the most common one with the big thin nut to tighten it. It is hard to tighten it cuz the nut is so thin. I was thinking i wanted one with the nut at the end of the handle like the shinwa model. I searched a lil bit and found some with a thumb lever instead of a nut and thouggt that would be good. So i guess my questions are what does everyone else have? How do you like it? Hows the build quality? Thanx in advance.

I am looking for a good sliding bevel gauge. I hate the most common one with the big thin nut to tighten it. It is hard to tighten it cuz the nut is so thin. I was thinking i wanted one with the nut at the end of the handle like the shinwa model. I searched a lil bit and found some with a thumb lever instead of a nut and thouggt that would be good. So i guess my questions are what does everyone else have? How do you like it? Hows the build quality? Thanx in advance.

I have this 7" made by Chris Vesper in Australia. Very little twisting effort needed to lock it.

The over all quality is top notch. I highly recommend it.

7__Sliding_Bevel_4e5efbe7cdb39.jpg

• Like 1

I use an antique stanley with the thumb lever. As nice as the vesper gauges are >$200 for a bevel is just too much coin for a tool like that. At $75 I would be tempted, at $125 I could maybe justify it. Outside of that, it's just not worth it. I could buy a dozen stanley thumb lever gauges that lock reasonably well.

Of course, value is always in the eye of the beholder (or purchaser).

The Vesper was worth it to me. I wasn't looking for a dozen bevel gauges, just one that was exceptionally well made. It makes me smile every time I use it. :)

• Like 1

Of course, value is always in the eye of the beholder (or purchaser).

The Vesper was worth it to me. I wasn't looking for a dozen bevel gauges, just one that was exceptionally well made. It makes me smile every time I use it. :)

Thanks for sharing. This gauge solves all the ergo shortfalls of my existing lever and butterfly screw bevels. Of course I need to begin saving pennies.........

I also have a Veritas lever and very much agree, Barry. But you can't not love purpose-built tools at the top of their craft. You can drive to work in a Ford Focus, but don't you think you'll feel better about the journey in a Maserati?

True, but I think I'd like something different as a dependable daily driver. Something roomy but sporty, maybe with the initials AMG or M on the back, would work...

I also have a Veritas lever and very much agree, Barry. But you can't not love purpose-built tools at the top of their craft. You can drive to work in a Ford Focus, but don't you think you'll feel better about the journey in a Maserati?

Hmm, reminds me of the Top Gear super car challenge they did a few series ago. You'd feel better in the Maserati but would you finish the journey ;) Of course this comes from a guy who drives a 20 year old Jag XJS every day.

Of course this comes from a guy who drives a 20 year old Jag XJS every day.

VERY NICE! I do understand British reliability... There's a sticker in my shop that proclaims "All parts falling off this car are of the finest British workmanship!" That's why I thought it was cool when Lotus started using Toyota drivetrains. A British car that starts... EVERY day! There's a guy in my local area with a white XJS in nice shape, and he uses it as a semi-daily driver.

I had an opportunity to take a 45 minute test drive in an XKR S, through the northwest hills of Connecticut last summer, via Jag's sponsor tent at the Lime Rock Park ALMS race. Worth every penny of the $148,000 USD window sticker... :D Of course, I'd have to sleep in it if I came home with it, but I'd be comfortable!

I have a old Stanley Eureka (the handle that locks at the bottom of the handle) and it is night and day above any of the thumb lever or wingnut gauge I have tried, I am not saying there aren't thumb lever ones out there but just not that I have tried. I bought mine from Walt for $12 and couldn't be happier. I am going to make a new brass blade and thumb screw plate for mine to give it a personal touch. My suggestion is if you like the older tools look for a Eureka if you want new go for a Shinwa. Just my thoughts, there are many prople here that have different styles and love them which is great, this s just my opinion.

Joraft, that does look awesome! Am I remembering correctly that there is a positive stop that allows you to use it as a very accurate square too? If so is that a fuction you use a lot or do you still grab for a square, just wondering. I remember Schwarz talking about how impressed he was by his. I am glad that you are so pleased with yours but I do see why some are put off with the pricetag. The main thing is that we are happy with our tools and build with them.

• 5 months later...

An update on the shinwa. I like it so far. The lockup is tight and it doesnt move. In some places the lockup on the end is hard to turn like when it is up against a wall.

I did get a beautiful antique stanley 10" bevel gauge with a lever nut on the side. That works better in the situations i explained above. The only problem is the stanley is just to pretty to use.

-Jason