Recommend a good bandsaw

Nick2cd

I have a 3/4hp ridgid 14" bandsaw without a riser block that i use mostly for curves, bandsaw boxes, and general light work. i'd like something that would give me the ability to accurately resaw veneer if i so choose or roughly dimension stock from the mill. i'd like to keep my budget under $1500 if that is possible.

I have the Rikon 10-325 deluxe. It's does fine resawing 12" boards. I cut my 12 foot long 6x6 timbers for the bench build on them. No problem with proper outfeed. But, I still want to get a larger table surface. I'll probably end up with a 20", at least. But, this is within your budget and I've heard good things from people who've bought the 17" model. This one is 19" w/ foot brake. http://www.grizzly.c...e-Phase/G0514X2 . You can also just get the 17" and have enough to get the Drift Master fence and/or Resaw King blade.

I just got the Grizzly 513X2 17" (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2). It's pretty consistently reviewed about the best bang for the buck bandsaw out there. I've only had it for a week so I haven't put it through its paces much yet but after a lot of research it was my choice.

I just picked up a Rikon 10-325 and I'm pleased with it, probably your best bang for the buck if you have a Woodcraft nearby (thus saving freight from Grizzly). Speaking of which, worth keeping an eye on them as the Rikon units go on sale every now and then at Woodcraft. Got mine for $799 during their March sale, cheaper than even Amazon was selling it for at the time.

With bandsaws Im a firm believer in buying the biggest (largest and heaviest) machine you can reasonably fit in your shop. With a smaller budget Id look used. Weight generally gives more stability and usually means a stiffer spine. For example the 22" rikon comes in almost 300lbs lighter than the smaller 20" powematic with less capacity and a smaller motor. In this example the PM is going to be more stable and have the ability to actually tension the blade properly without bending the spine. Of course the same goes for the smaller saws those were just the two I remembered off the top of my head.

Don

Hve you considered used? $1500 will buy a lot of saw in the used market a prime candidate would be the Delta 28-350 20" welded steel saw or the Powermatic 81 which is similar but generally commands more money.

In the new arena my first choice would be the Laguna LT14SUV (available now for a little more than that BUT with a Resaw King blade from Woodcraft). If not that then the 513/514 series from Grizzly or the 16/18" saws from Rikon.

Still pushing your budget a Grizzly 513X2F with a Laguna Driftmaster Fence and Laguna Resaw King 3/4" blade would make a fine (hand feed) resawing bandsaw, but you could always add the fence later, the DM fence is one of the best tools for accurate hand fed resawing.

Hve you considered used? $1500 will buy a lot of saw in the used market a prime candidate would be the Delta 28-350 20" welded steel saw or the Powermatic 81 which is similar but generally commands more money.

In the new arena my first choice would be the Laguna LT14SUV (available now for a little more than that BUT with a Resaw King blade from Woodcraft). If not that then the 513/514 series from Grizzly or the 16/18" saws from Rikon.

Still pushing your budget a Grizzly 513X2F with a Laguna Driftmaster Fence and Laguna Resaw King 3/4" blade would make a fine (hand feed) resawing bandsaw, but you could always add the fence later, the DM fence is one of the best tools for accurate hand fed resawing.

the laguna 14suv is one that i have been strongly considering. i don't have much of a used market where i am because there just isn't a big population around me. craigslist just doesn't suffice here like it does in columbus, pittsburgh, charlotte, etc....

If you are looking at Laguna check out Paul-Marcel's and Chris Wong's review of their 16". One is Italian. I don't remember the country of the other. You'll like Paul-Marcel's site. He has some awesome tunes!! ;o)

(null)

The Laguna 14" saws are either Chinese or Bulgarian, they don't import a 14" Italian saw, in fact I don't think any of the big three Italian companies (ACM, Centauro, Agazzani) even make a 14" saw.

The LT14 SUV is probably Laguna's best selling saw and despite its country of origin is a solid saw. It certainly isn't the match of the Agazzani or the Italian Lagunas and no where near the Centaro made Minimax MM or SP line (by far the best of the Italians) but it is a darn good saw for the money. If you get to look at them side by side with other saws like the 14" cast saws and the Rikon 14" steel framed saws open the doors up and compare the bearing sizes, that alone gives a clue to the nature of the SUV.

If you are looking at Laguna check out Paul-Marcel's and Chris Wong's review of their 16". One is Italian. I don't remember the country of the other. You'll like Paul-Marcel's site. He has some awesome tunes!! ;o)

(null)

im a regular over at "half inch shy" :D it's one of my daily stops on the net.

I've got the 14SUV and have been very pleased with it overall. Having to deal with space/weight issues, it was a great choice for balanced performance. The resaw capability is awesome and the 3hp motor really does make a difference. Dust abatement/collection has been better than expected. If you can spring for it, the 16" has a larger table.

The Laguna 14" saws are either Chinese or Bulgarian, they don't import a 14" Italian saw, in fact I don't think any of the big three Italian companies (ACM, Centauro, Agazzani) even make a 14" saw.

You're correct. The smallest Italian bandsaw that Laguna sells is a 16”. You can see that here. From what I’m reading ACM manufactures the Laguna “Italian” bandsaws.

Paul Marcel has the Laguna Tools Italian-Made LT-18 bandsaw. He has a 4 part series on his bandsaw.

You're correct. The smallest Italian bandsaw that Laguna sells is a 16”. You can see that here. From what I’m reading ACM manufactures the Laguna “Italian” bandsaws.

Paul Marcel has the Laguna Tools Italian-Made LT-18 bandsaw. He has a 4 part series on his bandsaw.

Correct, ACM builds the Italian saws for Laguna, Agazzani builds the Agazzani Euro Shop machines imported by Eagle tools, Centauro builds all the Minimax bandsaws except the S45N which SCMI builds itself, ACM also builds or provides the parts for the Felder/Hammer line, the N4400 is assembled at Hammer in Austria. Meber is another Italian bandsaw manufacturer and used to build the saws for Laguna, I don't know of anyone that is currently importing them. If one wants the best built Italian saws the Minimax MM/SP line is the top dog of the ones imported to the US and a couple of the Agazzani and a couple of the Felder/Hammer saws represent the best values at different price points.