Need Dado blade stack recommendations

adambaum

Best bang for the buck is the delta set. 35-7670. 99 on amazon. I got a used one for like 60. Perfect flat bottoms and no tearout except for melamine once. U will get tiny bat ears. I think the dewalt set is the same one

I've been using the Freud super dado for years and it has been pretty flawless. No tear out in cross grain cutting in plywood and very very little in melamine.The shim set is good but I would prefer magnetic shims since regular shims sometimes fall down in the screw threads and get crunched and throw off your measurements. Mine is a farily old set so I'm not sure if the new sets come with magnetic shims . Either way you can buy an aftermarket set of shims if you like. I think if I were to buy one today I would probably get Freuds newer adjustable dado, since it is easier to adjust the size . Just look on woodworking Co's web sites and on Amazon for dado user reviews.

• Like 1

You probably want to set a budget. My first choice is the Forrest Dado King, for a little less money the Infinity Dadonator is excellent. I don't fool with shims after moving to using a Bridge City Kerfmaker and making two passes the most accurate dadoes I have ever made. There is an excellent "user guide" on the blog Halfinchshy http://www.halfinchs...-table-saw.html

The Dewalt/Delta set is probably the best budget dado along with the Freud 208.

Danny posted just a few seconds before me, the upper level Freud sets are excellent also but I don't think they are as good as the Infinity or Forrest, but if you do decide to go the Freud adjustable way make sure your saw arbor will accept its width at the max you need, there are a lot of saws that will not allow full width with that set.

I was feeling guilty about spending money the day I got the Freud Super Dado. It cuts good but it fits too tight on my arbor. So now I ended up with a $500 Forrest Dado King because the Freud just sits in the nice carrying case it came in.

I have never had a bad experience with any of the blades I bought from Forrest and I'm still kicking myself for buying the Freud in the first place.

I was feeling guilty about spending money the day I got the Freud Super Dado. It cuts good but it fits too tight on my arbor. So now I ended up with a $500 Forrest Dado King because the Freud just sits in the nice carrying case it came in.

I have never had a bad experience with any of the blades I bought from Forrest and I'm still kicking myself for buying the Freud in the first place.

Did you get the gold plated one my 10" was only about 3.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rpvgwd

Adam - You didn't mention a budget or which saw you have, but if you want the best performer, I'd go with the Infinity Dadonator....awesome set that's pretty reasonably priced for what you get (~ $200).

SDB-800_large.jpg

If you're looking for best bang for the buck, I'd go with the Delta/DeWalt 35-7670 set for ~ $100...very good performer, great case, great shim stock....has a similar design as the Forrest.

Add another recommendation for Delta's budget set. I'm lukewarm on Delta products I've had experience with, but the dado set was a very nice surprise, quite affordable and cuts exceptionally well. I'll eventually graduate to something like the Dado King someday, but for now, the Delta works just fine for my needs.

• 11 months later...

I have the Infinity 8" Dadonator on my SawStop PCS.  The one caution is that it's a heavy 8" so you'll likely need to adjust the brake back to be sure not to trip it, but you need to check that whenever you switch to a new type of blade.

Works great; love that stack, although if I could, I would have just purchased the two outside blades (1/8" each) and two inside 1/8" chippers.  I always cut dados in two passes to get an exact fit so all the other size chippers and shims are useless for me.

Another suggestion: when you put the stack on the arbor, sometimes you'll tighten up the nut and it feels snug, but actually a blade is hooked on the edge of a thread.  Doesn't happen often, but when it does, they'll spin free after you start it up and they'll wobble.  After tightening the arbor nut, I usually put the saw in by-pass and start/stop it.  You'll know it if a blade caught a thread (or whatever it catches) plus if your brake is too close to the "heavy 8" blade, you'll know since the trip indicator will be blinking, but you won't have trashed a dado stack and brake.

Thanks Paul.  I can't get the saw to initialize and tech support thinks it might be too big for the saw, he's never heard of a Dadonator and want me to return it and buy a Freud or Forrest 'cause he knows those work.  I've tried some other 8" blades and they don't initialize either so I'm thinking it's the brake.

I'll let you now,

I have both.  What dictates which I use to make rabbets and dadoes depends on how many, how big and in what material.  A few for a small project, probably the router table.  A set of plywood cabinets, dado stack.  The dado can hog a ton of material...doing that on the router table will push its limits.  I personally don't like working the hell out of my machines if I can avoid it.