Wood Works Coming to a screen near you???

All I know is that his e-newsletter said:

"We have gotten numerous emails asking what has happened to the WoodWorks project episodes that DIY had available for online viewing at their website? On WoodWorks, each episode takes you step by step as David shows you how he made a specific piece of contemporary studio furniture that he designed specifically for the show. This summer we will have a big announcement, so get ready!!!!!"

Possibilities: DVD's, new show with all available, NYW-like 1 show per week, iTunes/Amazon style availability for purchase/download, Netflix/Hulu, other ideas? Maybe part of the new Guild?? :ph34r: <_<

I bought a new VCR when DVD burners came out just to have it available for access to old VHS tapes. I bet Goodwill or a pawn shop would have one cheap. I really enjoyed WoodWorks, should have burned copies instead of deleting them from my TIVO.

Good idea with the pawnshop. I have looked online and at stores but cant find one. I even strike out at garage sales, I seriously found a batamax and 8 track last yr and asked if they had a vcr somewhere and I just wasn't seeing it, he told me "I don't havve anything that old" :blink: If he was kidding I certainly couldn't tell.

I recorded most of the series on DVR - actually a PC with a TV Tuner & Windows Media Center (which with MCEBuddy also scrubbed commercials). So I had most of them digitally before they took it off. But then getting them into my iTunes library was another matter. Had to "rip" them all with Handbrake. But is worth it. I now watch them at my leisure on Apple TV! But I'm missing a few from every season - I want to complete the collection!!

I recorded most of the series on DVR

+1 - I did the same then burned them to DVD - Of course, like the rest of you I'm missing a few and would love to give David the proper credit ($$$) for his work as he has certainly earned it.

I actually got some folks ticked at me on another forum a couple of years ago when I mentioned that I had them but that I wouldn't make copies for them. I used these for my personal use only (and occasionally lent them out when a fellow Airman was deploying or in one case when a buddy was recovering from surgery)

Lawrence

• 2 months later...

Just copied this from the 7/17/2012 eNewsletter:

David is excited to announce that he has purchased a license to be able to distribute the entire collection of 91 episodes of WoodWorks which he began hosting in 2001.

The series of WoodWorks has been referred to as a compete introduction into the finer points of contemporary furniture making.

The information in the WoodWorks episodes will serve you for years to come and will enhance your ability to produce truly fine pieces of furniture. Each episode takes you step by step as David shows you how he made a specific piece of contemporary studio furniture that he designed specifically for the show.

We will be starting off with Season 1, offering both individual episodes as Digital Downloads and also a Full Season DVD, sold exclusively from our website Online Store.

Stay Tuned....we are almost done with editing out all of those annoying commercials!

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool that he's able to do something with this content, especially since DIY doesn't show it and has taken it down. I've also got most of the episodes copied on the DVR right now, so I don't know how inspired I'll be to purchase the DVDs. If the DVDs came with plans for each of the episodes projects, that might be the extra value-add I would need to spring for them.

While I like his show a lot and glad to see it available again, I'm not thrilled with the prices at all for a 20-22 min show (without commercials). The DVD sets are a better value, but in comparison one can get ALL five seasons of Woodsmith Shop for $40 more, and Woodwright Shop seasons are about $30 a piece (IIRC), all the former being 12-13ish episode seasons like WoodWorks is.

Still, Woodsmith probably owns their own show, Roy had Fine Woodworking to back the DVD releases, and David seems to have procured the rights to his show all on his own, so I assume the prices are set to cover that not in-expensive venture.

Just had a chance to see the prices - won't be happening.

$10 for a single episode, for DIGITAL DOWNLOAD, making a digital season $130, to me says he doesn't understand media in the 21st century, or he's getting bad advice. I was talking to another craftsman who agreed it was better to sell 2000 $3 videos than 100 $20 videos. He'd recoup that venture cost faster.

He could do a lot to help others like us who saw it on DIY getting started in woodworking, and sell a lot more of them.

And not to sell his enormous talent short, I made it about halfway through his marquetry video before I just quit. Sound, lighting and camera work were mediocre at best. Woodworks was a good show because someone else put it together. But even it is not worth that much per episode or DVD set (with shipping). Because I'm NOT going to be popping in DVD's. I'm going to rip it - for my OWN purposes - and watch on my TV.

IMHO, Norm has the same problem.

Sorry for ranting...

David most probably had to do either a heavy front-end or POS royalty deal with DIY Network to get access to the video library, so he is going to have some costs to recoup.

Norm seems to be pricing out at $24.95 per project with measured drawings, so David's $9.95 is fairly priced for his position in the market. One of the teeny-weeny problems I have with Norm is that all his episodes were produced under the Public TV umbrella, so technically, we are all already shareholders of his work! :)

I agree with the above sentiments that placing what was once freely available into a more affordable pricing structure would probably result in more sales. Perhaps this could be achieved with season packages at $59.95?

Regardless, it's great to see Wood Works again available. The woodworking community can only benefit!!

Norm seems to be pricing out at $24.95 per project with measured drawings, so David's $9.95 is fairly priced for his position in the market. One of the teeny-weeny problems I have with Norm is that all his episodes were produced under the Public TV umbrella, so technically, we are all already shareholders of his work! :)

That's why I never felt guilty about downloading his show, because it was paid for by viewers like me. :D

Went to the site ready to pull the trigger on the digital dl's... Yikes they are up there price wise!

I LOVE David Mark's work and would certainly choose his product as a place to spend my entertainment $$, but I won't spend that much. I wish him luck in this portion of his business, but unless his prices move more in line with that of his contemporary's (Pop WW'ing, Fine WW'ing, Woodwright etc. come to mind), I'll have to pass.

Lawrence

While I like his show a lot and glad to see it available again, I'm not thrilled with the prices at all for a 20-22 min show (without commercials). The DVD sets are a better value, but in comparison one can get ALL five seasons of Woodsmith Shop for $40 more, and Woodwright Shop seasons are about $30 a piece (IIRC), all the former being 12-13ish episode seasons like WoodWorks is.

Still, Woodsmith probably owns their own show, Roy had Fine Woodworking to back the DVD releases, and David seems to have procured the rights to his show all on his own, so I assume the prices are set to cover that not in-expensive venture.

Kind of apples and oranges, though. Woodworks is far superior to Woodsmith Shop, at least in terms of content and the projects. But still, I agree with the majority, prices are a little high. For the price of one season you can nearly buy a year's worth of TWW Guild membership, which gives you fewer projects but many more hours of comprehensive video, and hands down, IMO, more opportunity to build your skills and put them to use.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I'd like to thank Charles Hicks for providing the link to the DVD. I don't think I would have known about it otherwise.

I've seen David Marks in a few classes at woodworking shows, but I never had the chance to see his TV show.

I ordered the first season DVD and have watched a few episodes, and I'm pleased enough that I'll likely be buying all the seasons as they become available.

I'm also surprised that the downloads cost so much more than the DVD, considering the costs involved in creating and shipping the DVD. At $70.00 for 13 episodes on the DVD it comes to $5.40 per episode, which (so far) I think is worth it.