Upstairs Shop

modela

icon1.gifMy Upstairs shop

shoppix028.jpg

I thought I would give you a picture with a round the shop tour. The shop is on the second floor of my commercial building. I put it there to separate it from my metal shop below. A friend of mine and I did all the construction after having it engineered. It is supported by Glu-Lam beams with I-joists. The floors are 1 1/8" decking coated with four coats of Urethane.

shoppix030.jpg

I have access via an order picker (you know, those riding fork lifts you see in Home Depot) and stairs.

shoppix040.jpgEntering the shop from the stair or the lift you will see the corner. In progress is the screw and hardware storage. Straight away is a repurposed cabinet storing routers. Above are air nailers.

http://i235.photobuc....shoppix039.jpg

Continuing around are a planning bench with drawing cabinet, a second bench and the band saw. Notice air plumbed in and lots of outlets.

shoppix027-Copy.jpg

Further on the wall is a drill press, a small lathe (borrowed from Pisgah and used to fix broken handles, etc.) and another bench. A larger wood lathe is on my wish list.

shoppix007-Copy.jpg

Turning the corner of the L is a clamp rack. The door leads to storage.

shoppix009-Copy.jpg

Making a 90 degree angle you come to the L part of the shop. This wall is dedicated to storage. At the end of the L is additional storage.

http://i235.photobuc....shoppix038.jpg

The long bench is made for both the Radial arm saw and a compound miter saw.

shoppix012-Copy.jpg

Here is the old warhorse Delta Radial arm saw with dust collector at rear.

shoppix018-Copy.jpg

Rounding the corner is a cluster of tools including the vacuum, Grizzly Shaper, Makita Planer/Jointer, and Delta Table saw. Built into the table is a router. Also notice that all are on wheels and the table saw extension pushes out into the open area.

shoppix019-Copy.jpg

A lot of my tools are old, including this craftsman belt/disc sander.

As most shops it is still under constant revision and there are always a few new tools to add. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Jim

how come you decided to seperate you wood from you metal. half the time i find that the same tools i use for wood i use for metal. like drill press and sander/buffer?

that air compressor scares me i know you have it secure but still right over my head aaaaaaaahhhhhhh kerplat

does your rail have a gate so you can move stuff from the bottom to the top without having to lift over the hand rail?

i have a old lathe like that it needs a motor and be retaped but from what i hear they work well. you might want to add some weight to the base in case it walks on you. and also some lights i find when im turning and doing the sanding i need a light to see my realy fine scratches. i personaly dont like those types of stands they tend to be light weight and no drawers. i attached my lathe to a dresser 6 drawers pleanty of top for my lathe and plenty of drawers for all my extra's and tools.

why do you have a bucket under your drill press?

how do you like you dust collection on you radial arm saw? i have been strugling to get something set up on my machine.

how come you decided to seperate you wood from you metal. half the time i find that the same tools i use for wood i use for metal. like drill press and sander/buffer?

I like to keep them separate for dust control. Sometimes I use the same equipment, for example I have a more precision drill press in my metal shop.

that air compressor scares me i know you have it secure but still right over my head aaaaaaaahhhhhhh kerplat

I plan to put add a chain or cable safety. Right now it is a secondary compressor.

does your rail have a gate so you can move stuff from the bottom to the top without having to lift over the hand rail?

There is a gate where the lift raises that opens inward toward the shop (see view of the ladder). I should have opened it in that picture.

i have a old lathe like that it needs a motor and be retaped but from what i hear they work well. you might want to add some weight to the base in case it walks on you. and also some lights i find when im turning and doing the sanding i need a light to see my realy fine scratches. i personaly dont like those types of stands they tend to be light weight and no drawers. i attached my lathe to a dresser 6 drawers pleanty of top for my lathe and plenty of drawers for all my extra's and tools.

The lathe is borrowed. We have used it on some handle maintenance for a volunteer project. Actually, most of the time I use my metal lathe in the shop below if I have a wood project. A good wood lathe is on my tool wish list.

why do you have a bucket under your drill press?

I use it for two things. One, I have one bucket to push off excess chips into. I have another one that I keep blocks of wood for drilling spacers.

how do you like you dust collection on you radial arm saw? i have been strugling to get something set up on my machine.

I bought the attachment from a local Woodcraft shop. It works well except when you cut angles and the aim is a bit off.

Jim

shoppix034.jpg

Above is a picture of the lift at the top, gate open, flush to the floor.

Below are pictures of my paint booth, some that I wanted to include in the first post. It is a shared space. As you can see below, it started off pristine. By the way, the sides, top, insides and even lights are spray painted with a pealable latex clear paint. When it gets really bad you peal it off and start again.

shoppix031.jpg

shoppix032.jpg

PaintBooth4.jpg

PaintBooth6.jpg

Jim