I've finally completed the COD

post-3084-0-45347500-1341574392_thumb.jp

We have decided on this sort of style. In oak (same as drawer fronts) standing slightly above the surface to create a shadow line as shown in the rough Sketchup representation.post-3084-0-30044300-1341574742_thumb.jp

There will be one centrally mounted in each of the top drawers and two on each of the single drawers in line with the top drawer handles.

I couldn't convince my friends to have the drawer pulls in contrasting sapele (they are the customer after all). I might just make them in both woods and give them the option. I'll post more pictures when I have done them.

Interesting choice on the pulls, Terry. I agree with you about bringing the sapele into the main plane. Have you considered using both woods in your pull design? Possibly using the sapele for the base of the pulls and then employing the oak as the actual pull......

Here are a couple of rough Sketchups based upon Fransikaner's great idea.

All the edges will have a 1/4" radius except for the mounting faces at the rear. It's difficult to project a radius along a compound edge in the free version of Sketchup but I hope you get the idea.

Now I have to go into the shop and produce a prototype.

post-3084-0-78521000-1341766111_thumb.jp

Front View

post-3084-0-48570500-1341766124_thumb.jp

Rear View

I must just say my friends liked the "bulge" on the front of the pull in the original photo. I think they were seeing something that isn't there myself but I have added it anyway.

post-3084-0-25937300-1341766661_thumb.jp

Plan View with dimensions

I think you got it, Terry!

I almost want to bring the sapele up to the surface on each end to capture the outline of the half-round, but as I think of it, it completely changes the subtlety of how you have treated the base.

Your angle for the projection seems just a bit steep, but if the lads on your side of the pond like it, I say go for it. I would think that you want your mass and lines to comfortably equate to the sapele piers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been into the shop and made the template for the drawer pulls for the chest of drawers.

I used my sketchup drawing but reduced the overall size so that it was 78% the size of the original sketchup design. When I laid a 1:1 printout onto the drawer fronts they looked much too big. The overall length of the pulls is now slightly under 6".post-3084-0-38673800-1342464879_thumb.pn(The dimensions on my Sketchup are in metric mm)

I marked out just one half of the handle and then cut this out using the bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, files and sandpaper. Then taking the one half I used some double sided tape and stuck it to a piece of 1/4" plywood I had left over from another project.

Using the bandsaw I cut as close to the line as I could leaving the other half as stock. Then using a bearing guided router bit in my router table I was able to cut exactly to the line. I peeled the half template flipped it over and stuck it symmetrically opposite.

I then did the bandsaw cutting/routing method and ended up with a perfectly symmetrical drawer pull template.

post-3084-0-05158800-1342464896_thumb.jp (I'll post a decent picture of the template later. I only had my mobile phone camera with me at the time.)

Note the "lump" on the apex of the handle. Hopefully this lump is the going to end up the same as the original inspiration for these handles. I now need to cut out one from hardwood and radius the edges.

http://tmcwoodworks.blogspot.co.uk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My customer who commissioned me to make the chest of drawers invited my wife and I to stay over new year. The chest was in the bedroom we stayed in and it looks fabulous. The wood hue has slightly changed (aged maybe?) under the enduro-var and the oak looks richer. I am really pleased with it and my customer is also pleased too.

I've been commissioned (by my wife Elly) to make one for us too. Another project for this year.