Wood thickness

Hey all,

Rookie question for y'all so forgive me if this sounds too ignorant.

Can I build this cabinet out of 1/2 cedar? I don't know if that's too thin given that this will be hanging on the wall. That being said, it'll just be hanging over the pot in the bathroom so it won't be loaded with tools or anything like that.

I've got a bunch of 1/2 cedar waiting for a project that I would like to use before I upgrade to the expensive woods and while I can get my practice in. Thoughts?

-Craig

I think 1/2" is ok. If the whole thing is 1/2", the whole unit is a little lighter. So as long as you aren't loading it down with weights or something (you know, for those quick workouts while you're on the throne), you should be ok. Just be careful to play with the SketchUp plan and see what needs to be changed to accommodate the new stock. It is also very important to make sure it just looks ok. Sometimes going down to 1/2" stock looks bad to the eye. But you don't really know until you try. Most likely thing is you'll want to bring the dimension in a bit.