Are These Replaceable Tip Chisels Worth The Bother?

Onboard

I went to Chris Schwarz's site this morning (Woodworkingmagazie.com) and his current blog is about some "new" chisels being introduced from England. They have replaceable tips. The few replies to his article weren't positive. Since they are not available yet, Chris has not tried them, so there is no user experience to post yet.

Based on the information presented so far, what do you think? Are these new chisels worth the bother?

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Coming+This+Month+Chisels+With+A+Replaceable+Tip.aspx

Looks kinda gimicky to me. Screws to lose, new "tips" you have to go back and keep buying. Seems like they'd have you on their hook untill they go out of business, then what are you gonna do?.. Go buy some good chisels, right.

About 10 years aago I invested in a really nice set of Marples chisels, never regretted it, I'll most likely hand them down to my son. Sharp as a razor and made to last.

While I have much less experience with chisels than many here, this seems to be a 'solution in search of a problem'. Considering how much the tips would likely cost, replacing one every time I drop the !@#$#!ing thing on the floor (far too often for my liking) compared to just sharpening the thing (unless you start sharpening your tips, in which case, what's the use..) isn't going to save me much... Personally, I'm looking to pick up a few more chisels (hopefully used) so I can have multiples of the ones I sharpen most often, so I can do more of my sharpening 'in bulk'..

My 2cents..

David..

I sold European technology for many years. The labor (or labour if we speak in English) in Europe is a lot more expensive than here, and every minute counts. Instead of taking the time to sharpen your chisel is probably better for them to change the tip, like we have in a few of our routers (Norm City).

Personally I would not invest in these chisels today but I never thought I would do manual labor as I do today ... who knows?

A lot of us changed the way things were done many times and some of us changed careers as well

Other than the idea of different profiles, looks like a gimmick to me. And why are the inserts high-speed steel? If the point is to be disposable and last longer, wouldn't you just go with carbide? Lastly, what's up with that huge chunk of metal that's supposed to be the insert? Am I just looking at the picture wrong, or does that insert stick out from the back of the chisel? I like to use the flat side as a guide for the cut I'm making. I don't think you could do that with those.

But seriously, the idea isn't necessarilly bad. I already make turning tools out of carbide inserts attached to metal rods. It wouldn't take much for me to made a version in the shape of a chisel, and it's easy to grind the carbide into different profiles. Now this intrigues me. Shouldn't take much to come up with a more "high-end" carbide version of what they're trying to do. Maybe I'll have to add that to my list of experiments to do in my "spare time". I'm suddenly picturing the Lie-Nielson version of this (drools...)

*shakes head* But yeah, I wouldn't spend my money on those.

If the idea was to go back and sharpen the removable tips, i could somewhat see a use in timber framing. Hack away at large mortises and change the tip when it isn't doing it. Then you can sharpen away from the jobsite.

Then again, if I did timber framing, I'd sooo find an excuse to buy this:

Yeah, baby... that's the Domino's big brother (literally).

Edited by Paul-Marcel
First two links prohibited embedding

I really don't see any reason to buy it. Not only is it expensive, I also don't see the problem of sharpening a chisel. Buying a Tormek wet grinder or something similar probably would be cheaper in the long run. Then there is the problem of flatness, the protruding tip and the weak spot it creates.

• 3 years later...

Hello all. i've read some of your posts about replaceable blade chisels, and would like to add one seemingly overlooked point. As a nomadic tradesman(dont have the luxury of a shop...lol),the idea of a replaceable cutting tip sounds great.  the space in my tool kit is limited...as is the space in my too belt, and my chisels often get misused and abused(i do alot of remodeling and reclaiming/reworking old lumber). if i could change the blade easily to go from framing applications to mortising a doorl lock and hinges, or replace a damaged blade until i have time to resharpen it, that would be great! I now carry two complete sets of chisels...one set i guard from my helpers like a momma bear with her cubs,id love a better system.

We've seen replaceable tip turning chisels with carbide tips on the market for a while and many people are converts, at least for the rough work. I wonder if that's what they are trying to achieve here. Shame it's HSS, not carbide. They might have been onto something.

NB:The original link 404'd on me. Is this the same article? http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/review-english-m-power-chisels-with-replaceable-tips

The longer you sharpen the quicker you get at it. I freehand sharpen on oilstones and I can resharpen in less time than it would take to swap out the tips. Even if you use a jig by the time you get out the tips and replace it you wouldn't save time especially when you consider that you then have to go buy more tips. It's just a company who is preying on people's fear of sharpening. The other big problem i see is that the tips are wider than the chisel, that would frustrate me to no end! A little info and practice and sharpening is quick and easy, and then the joy really starts-having sharp tools all the time!!

God bless

Nate