Working with driftwood?

ryanthefloyd

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience working with driftwood. About a year ago I collected some small pieces from a local beach and think they would make awesome handles for drawers or boxes. The problem is, however, that they are really fragile. Lots of really soft, mushy spots. Its so soft that it is even very tough to sand. Thankfully, it came out of the ocean really smooth. Any ideas on how to preserve the wood so it stands up over time?

Thanks!!

Know-say vs. Hearsay:

Simple shellac will seal the driftwood. I use Zinsser SealCoat, a two cut of dewaxed shellac.

I also use a solution of tung oil, spar varnish and VM&P naphtha to soak some driftwood. It seals and finishes.

Yesterday we collected an SUV full of driftwood along the banks of the Ohio River in Warsaw and Carrollton Kentucky.

Although the fresh water driftwood doesn't have an absorbed salt problem, there are problems with various river pollutants, including mini-oil slicks that coat the wood.

I try to avoid pithy wood and only select pieces that are solid.

Blessings.

I've heard of useing a small vacuum jar filled with thinned poly, the vacuum causes the air bubbles out of the pcs of wood, then the poly really soaks in , remove the piece and let dry, I believe I saw this done for pen blanks to stabilize them, but I have no experience with this method myself , at least not yet.