Table saw repair help needed

ArnoldAmorós

Used my table saw the other day when it suddenly smelled of burning. Still works just sounds rough. Stopped using it. So the question is... Is it repairable. My guess is that the brushes have worn out, but I haven't taken anything appart yet. wondering if I can even find brushes if that is the problem.

Its a portable tablesaw made by craftsman. Model 137.218240. Serial #RGT3010.

Not sure how to proceed.

I would try replacing the brushes first, as those aren't real expensive to replace, and is the likely cause of the problem. However if it gets to the point where the motor needs repaired or replace, this could get costly, when compared to the cost of the saw. Typically the motor and arbor assembly is all one unit (aka a direct drive), so this will be a costly part to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what is wrong with it but I would be surprised if it was brushes because I don't think that motor has brushes. I believe it is a capacitor start motor. If you burned out the windings then the motor is effectively shot. If you burned out the capacitor then that is actually a pretty easy and cheap fix as long as you are capable of using a soldering iron. To find out what is broken you will likely need a an ohmmeter and a greater understanding of electronics then I possess (which admittedly is effectively zero).

Watch when you turn power on. Does the blade get to full speed immediately? If it does Your stator windings are shorted and burning when it runs. If its sluggish to start your capacitor is bad. The fact you smell it burning is a clear indication your motor is most likely shot. Even if it has brushes it wont cause a burning smell when there bad it will just stop transfer of electricity. Hope this helps also one thing Ive learned over the years is to never buy anything craftsman with a motor on it ive never had a good power tool from them

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try blowing it out with an air compressor, make sure that a squirrel didn't crawl up in the motor and die or something.

if it does have brushes, replace them like you already suggested.

shoot it with some wd40 while it's running, if that doesn't fix it, look around on craigslist for a twin for cheap and borrow parts from it or just throw your old one out. I bought my craftsman off craigslist, in great shape, came with linkbelt, mobile base all the good stuff and it was only $150, about 2 years ago. I looked for months before it came up finally, but even at 20 years old it's about a million times nicer than the home depot Ryobi that it replaced, which was only a year old.

They just don't make them like they used to, even if they are burnt up. Sorry for your loss, but good luck nonetheless.