Porter Cable 895PK OR Triton 2-1/4 horse - Router Show down?

Emill71

I'm looking at picking up a new router with a verable speed control to run larger bits and have above table depth adjustment. My hope is to put it in the router table and leave it there most of the time and have a plunge base when needed. I can afford about 250 dollars or so and want to get the best router for my dollar.

I have a small shop which is still being built, i don't build doors often but possibly could if the router would spin a door bit. would a 2 1/4 horse router do the work?

Ive used PCs large production routers when I worked in a cabinet shop and know they are great but cant spend 400 on a router. I would like a bigger router and could possibly kick out the extra dollars to get Tritons larger model but don't know if the quality is there. Porter Cable does routers well and Is a known for their routers. The two routers im looking at are below.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-895PK-4-Horsepower-Fixed-Plunge/dp/B0000DCBKN

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001C-4-Horsepower-Precision-Router/dp/B000DINFHY/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1347306702&sr=1-4&keywords=trition

What would you guys suggest doing? Would you have any other suggestions for a router in the 225 250 range with the same options?

The Tritons and the Freuds have a slew of above table features that most others don't have....auto collet lock, collet that extends through the table so the nut can be reach from the top without a bent wrench, top side height adjust, top side height lock....thse features essentially give you the ability to change bits from the top with one hand very easily. I read mainly positive comments from owners of both. The 895 might be unchanged, but many PC tools aren't what they used to be. Either should have enough oomph to spin an occasional panel raising bit, though a 15 amp router will have an easier time of it.

FWIW, HD has a refurbed Milwaukee 5625 on sale for $230 w/free shipping. Not as many topside featuers as the Freud and Triton, but does have topside height adjust, and is a beast....many consider it comparable to the PC7518.

Thanks Knotscott, Do you feel that PC has produced less quality tools as of late? I talked to the guys at our local western tool and they said the new dewalt dwp611pk has more oomph than the PC 895. I'll have to check out the HD refurb.

I think I'm leaning toward the Pc 895

• 2 weeks later...

The PC 895 arrived in the mail a few days back. I had a chair repair project in the shop so I figured i'd make the dowel on my router table rather than ordering one. Took my half inch round over bit to a piece of milled 1in x 1in Maple. My first time using this new router I must say I'm very impressed. Its much quieter than my older PC 690s and that soft start function is really nice! I was happy to see that it bolted up through the same holes in my router table as the 690s as well. I only had to make 2 new holes in the insert for the above table adjustment. Pretty happy with this machine and looking forward to years of use. Thanks for all the help!