Should it be soft or hard

Bigdaddy68

Im going to be building an island with a butcher block top and wanted to know which maple would be better. Both the top and cabinet would be the same wood. I know butcher blocks are typically hard maple, but i just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks, Joe

I doubt it matters much. While hard maple would technically better, I'm guessing it's more of a 99% to 97% thing.

Jonathan

=================================

Hmmm.. This sounds like a bit of a loaded question :o BUT, if we're talking about wood (the kind that comes from trees) then my vote would be for hard maple. If I remember correctly hard maple has some natural anti-bacterial properties. Personally that doesn't mean much IMO as I have some cutting boards made of end grain red birch, another of edge grain teak and another from red oak that I've used for years without any issues. The key is giving them a simple rinse and wipe down after each use (especially after chicken)..

• Like 1

you know, i was going to go to the dark side, but figured this forum was above such things... guess i should have known...

well then, when given a choice, you should always go for hardest wood you can manage...

:P Luke (hhh) Welcome to the Dark Side.. Sorry, couldn't help it !

One more thing, i just noticed on another topic where it was stated to make sure all sides of the top are sealed and i absolutly agree. Im thinking of just oiling the top before installing it, so what would you all use to seal a maple butcher block top. Would you use something different on the bottom than youd use on the top.

The white maple is from the outer part of the log. The dark wood is closer to the center of the tree.

I just oil all sides of a butcher block but if you buy factory made butcher block counter slabs they come with a varnish/ sealer of some sort on all sides. They say you can sand the surface and oil it if you prefer. I would consider a coat or 2 of some finish on the sides that will be hard to access once you install the top.

Read an article on hard/soft maple :)

like many woods, these are catchall buckets for about a dozen species of trees from the genus Acer. There is no 'hard maple' tree, there is no single 'cherry' tree, etc, just a grouping of related species. Some are lighter, some darker. Sugar maple is typically the 'gold standard' for Acer.

hhh, i have read quite a few books and articles on different woods. I know that there are 13 types of maples just in the united states, acer is the latin for sharp as in the leaf points and that sugar (acer saccharum) is the most popular hard maple , red maple (acer rubrum) silver maple (Acer saccharinum) and boxelder are the most popular soft maple. But what is hard to find in the books is the hands on use and treatment of the woods. This is why this forum is so awesome. There's nothing like talking to other people who have already worked with the medium and have experience with its caracteristics.

Thanks wdwerker for the helpful info.

==> what is the differrence between hard maples that are dark or white, besides the obvious colors?

==> i have read quite a few books and articles on different woods.

If Hoadley isn't in the 'quite a few' that you have read, then it's a good item for the reference shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wood-Craftsmans-Guide-Technology/dp/1561583588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347484606&sr=8-1&keywords=hoadley+wood

If you really want to get into this stuff, The Forest Service puts-out a voluminous reference manual. A section covering physical properties can be had at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/ccrc/topics/urban-forests/docs/physical%20properties%20and%20moisture%20relations%20of%20wood.pdf

I would probably go with hard maple, just based on my experience digging around at the lumber dealer. I've always been able to find better looking clear boards in hard maple than in soft which is often more streaky and may have some more imperfections. As far as the performance of the cutting board surface I don't think it would really make much difference.