Bandsaw options - need some direction

joelav

I've been researching bandsaws for a few months now and am currently suffering from paralysis by analysis. I decided to take a hard, realistic look at what I am going to use a bandsaw for.

1 - Resawing. Realistically, I am not going to need more than 6" of resaw height. I rarely work with boards wider than 6". When I do, I do not see a need to resaw them. Originally this was one of my largest concerns.

2 - Space. in my current shop set up, I really have no room for a bandsaw. Compromises are going to be made in the form of bench space, which frankly I have too much of now anyway. I need to cut back on the clutter

3 - Power. I would like something powerful enough where I won't be running into issues resawing

4 - precision work/cutting curves. In the past I really didn't have a need for this. My current project (my take on arts and crafts) I did have to cut a few curves. I ended up abandoning them because I SUCK with a jig saw. There is no other way to put it. I freaking hate jig saws and I have to to just accept the fact I suck with it and move on.

So in a nutshell, I need a powerful bandsaw that I can easily resaw boards/logs up to ~6", and accurately cut really small items and cut curves with that doesn't take up a huge amount of space. I have limited my search previously to the likes of the Laguna LT14SUV. Honestly that is too much band saw for me and that extra space and money I would save on a smaller saw would do me very well in other areas. I'm not looking for the cheapest saw on the market, but something under 900.00 or so is my new target.

Take a look at the Grizzly 14" saws. They are well within your price range, and work very well. I personally have the G0555P 14" bandsaw, and have found it overall to be a good saw. They do sell mobile bases for it as well, which can help with your space concerns.

My amateurish suggestions. Just some thoughts for what they’re worth.

I would look into the Grizzly G0555X or the G0457.

You said that you do resawing on no more than a 6” thick board or log. One day, you may want to resaw at a larger size. If you get something like the G0555X, you can purchase the 6” extension block kit to allow 12” resaw capacity. The G0457 has a 10” resaw capacity built in.

The G0555X has a 1.5 hp motor and the G0457 has a 2 hp motor. Either should be enough for your resawing with a good resaw blade. Both motors are 110v/220v single phase.

As far as space, if I understood correctly, you do have more countertop space than you actually need.

One option, would be to remove one of the cabinets that has nothing to the left of it. You need that floor space to stand next to your saw for resawing and other cuts. Both of these saws come with a metal base cabinet. It may also require removing a wall cabinet above. Just set the saw where the left of the cabinet used to be.

Another option would be to take one of the base cabinets, that has space at the left end (as above), and cut it down height wise to mount the saw on the left end. Put a nice thick wood or other sturdy material on top of the cut down cabinet, and unbolt the saw from it’s supplied cabinet and then bolt the saw to the top (left end). I would set the height to put the bandsaw table surface at the same height as the cabinet top to the right to allow longer boards to move onto the other counter top as you saw.

If you do this you may want to check on the G0457 to see if it can be removed from its base. The G0555X is bolted to its base. You could also check with Grizzly to see if the G0555X or G0457 can be purchased without the base cabinet if you went with this option and save some money. One other consideration is the depth of your cabinets, being deep enough to allow for the bandsaw you purchase to fit on top depth wise.

Of course you could also wait a bit for the new Powermatic PM1500. Just kidding of course! Price is given at the end of the video. :wacko:

Thanks Mike. I was looking at the G0555LX, which has a better fence, upgraded wheels and a better blade guide that the "P" and is on sale right now. I was looking for some first hand experience. I'm glad it works well for you.

Onboard - thanks for the suggestions as well. The PM1500 is going to be too rich for my blood at close to 3 grand. If I'm going to go over 1000.00, I'll just pull the trigger on the Laguna LT14SUV. I'm going to do some serious shop renovations since I can't actually work in my shop now. It's far too cold here and it's not climate controlled, so gluing and finishing are out of the question. Currently every single wall has a bench or counter top. I used to do a lot of metal work and needed the space. Since most the counter tops are actually metal, it's not very conducive to woodworking anyway. I don't do much metal work anymore and could honestly do without half of it. A riser kit is always an option, however I'm not thrilled with how they perform. They change the saws geometry and can make blade tensioning more tedious (from what I hear, no first hand experience).

Also I would prefer the 220 option. I'm running a little low on convenient 110 plugs and have a few spare 220's.

While I don't own a bandsaw, I have been looking recently at getting one. Lots of people have really good things to say about the Rikon 10-325. Which is a 14 in 1.5 HP (110 or 220). and for that rare occasion a 13" resaw (which is why I am looking at it). Also I don't know how tall you are (I'm 6'4"), the Rikon has a 39" high table, which I found more comfortable than the SUVs 35" especially for precise cuts. (it looks like the grizzlys have taller tables also)

If you can wait for a bit, woodcraft usually has them on sale every couple months for ~850

Highland had one sale for 799.99 a while back and I almost got it. My local woodcraft guys did a good job of talking me out of it though, Apparently it's your typical Chinese power tool, and reliability is questionable as they had a pretty high return/warranty rate. I have no problem with Chinese made tools, but the price on that is a little steep for questionable quality. That is why they brought in and now locally stock the LT14SUV. Also I am on the short side (5'8") so the lower table height is more comfortable for me. I am heavily considering the grizzly, as well as the 14" offerings from Jet and Powermatic.

I wouldn't fear Rikon, and if China-made is a concern, Grizzly puts you in the same ballpark anyway (unless it's a Taiwan machine). I have the 10-325 (and my local Woodcraft likes it), and while it's got a few quirks (stock bearings are finicky), has worked fine for me. (I'd upgrade the blade for certain, though.) But definitely not premium or anything, I'd be looking at Powermatic or whatever for that.

I wouldn't fear Rikon, and if China-made is a concern, Grizzly puts you in the same ballpark anyway (unless it's a Taiwan machine). I have the 10-325 (and my local Woodcraft likes it), and while it's got a few quirks (stock bearings are finicky), has worked fine for me. (I'd upgrade the blade for certain, though.) But definitely not premium or anything, I'd be looking at Powermatic or whatever for that.

I noticed that both of the Grizzly saws I linked to above, are made in Taiwan.

I have a Jet 14" that is pretty nice and dependable as a brick but I am really liking the new Rikon deluxe 14". I love the Laguna but it's a bit pricey.

Honestly, I didn't think I'd need more then a 6" resaw capability but there have been a few times it would have been handy and I am contemplating getting a riser block for my Jet right now.

Just something to think about...

-Jim

A good blade should give your saw of choice a better re saw capability and performance! I re saw boards from 10” down to 3” and still have no problems. Though I change the blades with different tpi considering the sizes I re saw. For larger boards, I use coarser tooth pitch so it could provide bigger space in the gullet area. The brand of the blade differ so I never changed my Haltbar blades.

After some more back and forth and taking into account some advice I got here, I was going to just pony up and take a chance on the Rikon 10-325. Then I did something really stupid. I found a really gently used, mint condition MiniMax S45N 18" 2.5hp bandsaw with a 1" laguna resaw king and a few timberwolf blades, and I bought it on the spot. I really do not need this much band saw. Let's face it I am a pretty sucky woodworker compared to most, but have only been at it for about 7 months or so. I paid somewhere in the middle of the 10-325 and the LT14SUV

DAMN YOU USED TOOL MARKET!!!!!

Man, don’t be so sad about it. 7 months is just a small period and you still have a lot to learn in the future. Besides, band saws are simple machines. Regardless of the brand, if you have tuned it up properly, changed every worn out part, get a good quality blade, then it will give you good cutting performance. C’mon, work out that saw and kick that on button of the switch. Have fun!