Clamping 45 degree bevel

rodger.

Tape works well if the fit is good, clamps work better if you are trying to get as good a fit as possible from less than perfect joinery. You just have to imagine the shape of angled block ( caul ) to push the joint in to fit better. You can never have too many clamps. I have over a hundred clamps and sometimes that is not enough. Make the best of what you have then get creative.....

Depending on the situation, I'll use:

- Blue tape

- Spring clamps with pin points

- 23 ga. pins left proud inside the joint. To do this, you shoot short pins into the actual joint before assembly, snip them off ~ 1/16" long, push the joint together, pull it back apart, apply the glue, and push together. If you're doing end grain, apply the glue, allow to soak in, then reapply more glue. The pins keep the joint from sliding around. If needed, wrap in tape or stretch wrap.

I did a dry run with green/blue tape, but I don't feel that it will have enough pressure to form a strong glue joint.

I would like to get some real pressure on there with a proper clamp set up. I tried to cut some cauls, but the clamps kept slipping off the work when I tightened them to any extent (not enough force to have decent squeeze out). I do like the idea of spring clamps with points, but I don't have any. Maybe its a good excuse to buy some. Would they work well on an angle less that 90?

Have you seen these miter clamp adaptors? They say it comes with adapters for 22.5-, 30-, 45-, and 60-degree miters. I don’t know how well they work. It seems that Amazon is currently out, however I have seen them on Craigslist. Not sure where you would buy them new. If you don’t purchase it new, you would have to make sure all of the adapters were there.

• Like 1

Have you seen these miter clamp adaptors? They say it comes with adapters for 22.5-, 30-, 45-, and 60-degree miters. I don’t know how well they work. It seems that Amazon is currently out, however I have seen them on Craigslist. Not sure where you would buy them new. If you don’t purchase it new, you would have to make sure all of the adapters were there.

This look interesting. I wonder if anyone has created a "shop made" version of these.

The simpelst "shop made" version is just a couple of sticks with a V-notch cut in each one. Attach them to the workpieces by applying clamps at 'A', then close up the joint with a third clamp applied at 'B'.

-- Russ

What about a 22.5 degree bevel (45 degree finished angle)? Would the V notch need to be cut at 45 degrees instead of 90 degrees? I would think the clamps would slip off a 90 degree notch if they were used.

gallery_685_665_8520.jpg

I suppose you'd want something more like this. The notches would need to be cut as shown. You'd also need to move the notched sticks farther away from the joint to make sure that the clamping pressure was still centered on the joint. (That's what the dotted line is supposed to indicate.)

-- Russ

• Like 1

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think Franklin Pug is talking about something similar to the lower right and left corners that you find on “flag frames”. I don’t know what he’s building , but just as an example, each of the two lower corner angles of a flag frame would measure a total of 45 deg (two 22.5 deg cuts). I have seen flag frames that don’t use the 22.5 deg angles, but then the lower side corners are not a miter joint.

Actually I didn’t Russ. Had I read Barry’s post I wouldn’t have posted an idea I saw on a DVD a couple of years ago. I apologize for the redundancy, and I’ve removed my post. Having now read Barry’s comment, I noticed he recommends a 23 gauage pin. I’ve only heard about an 18 guage brad nail being used. I’ve also read or saw it being used on other types of glue ups other than a miter joint. Thanks Russ.