SawStop works!!

Steve Lyde

Yep! They work! :o

One of the two unintentional SS firings at my local woodworking school was due to the blade hitting a JDS miter gauge rail. The other was a finger.

When I bought my SS, I replaced my long Incra aluminum rails with wood and MDF versions. I often use an MDF backer with the metal rail, and in the past, have knicked the aluminum behind the backer, so I figured better safe than sorry... My 90's and 45's are all cut on sleds, so the miter gauges don't see that much use.

I think SawStop says not to reuse the blade after a trip, but I've heard people using their blades after a trip. I talked with Rob Cosman about that, and I think he said he has a blade that has been tripped 3 time and he's still using it. I recently tripped my saw, miter gauge for me too :(. The blade really looks fine, but I did lose a tooth. I haven't sent the blade out to have the tooth replaced yet, but I'm going to give it a try.

Mike

I'm not willing to salvage the blade myself. It will hang on the wall as a daily reminder to not do that..........get in a hurry and make adjustments without shutting the saw off!!! I did find a old spare blade I had but it's very dull so I ordered one of the 60 tooth SawStop brand titanium blades.

As soon as you mentioned knicking the miter gauge it immediately made sense about the brake kicking in. Maybe for cuts made where there's a possibility of hitting something like a miter gauge or such I'll have to activate the Bypass option for those cuts LOL?!

I remember hearing also that the blade typically can be reused after tripping the brake, but it's a comfort issue as far as I'm concerned. If you're not comfortable with it...or if you want to use it as a great excuse to buy a new one!

Glad to hear your safe, that's all that matters!

If I were to reuse a blade without the blade making a trip to the sharpener, which I probably wouldn't, I'd probably wear a face shield for a while until I was convinced there where no compromised welds.

On the upside, if a tooth did get launched, there's about an 80% chance it would miss you!

A faceshield will be near useless against a small piece of carbide going 100 miles an hour. I don't quite understand why someone would spend extra money for a safer tablesaw, then risk using a potentiallly damaged sawblade.

• Like 2

From what it sounds like, and I have an extra cartridge to try this out with when I do my review of my SawStop saw, the actual damage to the blade can be minimal.

The choice is then up to the user whether they want to continue using it. I have a crosscut blade for my old mitersaw that threw a tooth a long time ago. What scares me the most about using it still is that I have no idea when it broke free. But after inspecting the rest of the blade I don't see anything wrong with it or any loose welds on the carbide tips.

I guess I'd do the same with my tablesaw blade if I considered reusing it?

• 3 weeks later...

Well less than a month goes by and I did it again!!!!!!!!! This time the Osborn claimed my dado blade. I'm going to make a dado sled and through that Osborn in the trash. And there is not even a scratch on the Osborn. Two new brake cartridges and two new blades in a month, this is getting expensive!! And yes it was my own dumb fault for not making sure the fence on the Osborn was over far enough.