A Question On Refinishing Baseboards.

Onboard

A friend of ours sent this email question.

“What wipe-on product works well to refinish wood with a polyurethane finish? Someone told me about one that was great but I can't remember who or what the product name was. Our baseboards need a facial...”

I'm hoping someone will be able to answer her question. She and her husband are in the process of getting their home rented out. I have heard of Howard’s Restor-A-Finish, but they say on their website, that harder finishes such as polyurethane will absorb less of the stain/restorer, but will look better after it’s applied. They also say, that “A polyurethane finish should NOT be used over Restor-A-Finish as it will not let this type of topcoat finish dry.” I have no experience with this product.

Thank you.

I just looked at the MSDS for that product. I am not sure what some of its contents arefor, but it looks like it has a bunch of solvents - Xoluene, Xylene, isobutyl acetate, acetone, isopropanol (a type of alcohol). I have no experience, but anyone using it should be careful to avoid a buildup of dangerous fumes...

First, I see this post probably should have been put under the Restoration & Refinishing sub-category. Maybe one of the WTO Staff could move this post for me. Thanks.

Second, after further searching, I ran across a product called Restorz-It. Has anyone used Restorz-It? From what I’ve read so far on their website, they say it works okay with polyurethane. Again, never used the product, but something our friends may want to try out on the baseboards, and as Steve said, try it in an inconspicuous place first. Also, thanks John for the heads up on the MSDS ingredients. I want to help our friends, not put them in harms way!