Non-slip Step Stool

I think there might be a couple of options.

Aside from draping a sheet of non-skid drawer liner on it, you are probably looking at small lines/grooves/cuts on the surface. You might look into a trim router with a small v bit or small straight bit and do a cross-hatching on it, like the knurling on metal knobs.

Another option is to do several straight lines, either from side to side, front to back, or diagonally.

I would stay away from any grooves, dadoes, or flutes deeper than 1/8". I'd even suggest just going about 1/16" at the deepest. You get to make the decision on the pattern.

Just had a thought, you might be able to carve some form of pattern or design on the step that would fill that same role.

Thinking along the lines of fluting the surface, what about cutting shallow kerf lines (either straight or in some type of design) and fill the grooves with a deck caulking like what's used on a boats teak deck? The stuff I use cures to solid rubber (either black, white or even tan color) and sands great leaving a very slight crown to provide grip. Here's a pic along the lines of what I'm talking about..

Immagine%20097.jpg