Making my first instrument - becoming a luthier

mjgreenwood

So I've been woodworking for a couple of years but it's been slow. I was not doing it for profit and you only need so many desks and book bases in your house. My simple furniture projects have also helped me improve my general framing and trim work. Truth be told the only thing I've ever wanted to make was a guitar. This is something I would like to take further and make it a side business.

I'm starting the process, learning on my own for the moment. I've researched local classes but all the classes locally aren't really what I want from a class. So lots of books and plans and research from other forums.

Rick's videos on Marc's site got me going on this. Thanks Rick and Marc for some inspiration.

http://www.thewoodwh...-a-guitar-pt-2/

I decided on a Tenor Ukulele, they're fun and there aren't a lot of people in my area that make them.

Here's what I've done son far

Main template and clamping mold, bending form and the bending machine.

Next on the list:

* radius clamping/sanding dishes for the front and back.

* Go-bar clamping deck

Then I can start milling up my test lumber. Love any input along the way

post-2504-0-30089400-1350740909_thumb.jp

post-2504-0-18812100-1350740926_thumb.jp

post-2504-0-87756500-1350740986_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

Hey, it took me almost two years to finish my first one... that was ten years ago! I learned the same way - two books, a video series and lots of internet browsing (MIMF.com is a good source). Just remember that it's like a big piece of furniture - one small step at a time.