Guild vs DVD

jeffkt2

The version available on the Guild website comes with a Guild membership. So if you are truly only interested in that one project and the associated plans, the DVD is the better buy. But if you are interested in what the Guild has to offer, the extra $15 gets you access to all of our Guild meetings and interviews and gives you an easy way to purchase and download any other projects you might be interested in from the Guild archive.

• Like 1

So I'm confused about this too. I'm already a guild member - a super fan at that - and to buy the hanging wall Cabinet as a "guild build", I get 390 (6.5 hours) minutes of video and the plans for $65. If I buy the DVD, I get 3 DVD's, 6.5 hours, and the plans for $42.49.

Am I missing something? Since I'm already a guild member, what more am I getting for the extra $22.51? I would almost think that it would be cheaper for guild members to buy the plans, since we've anted up (in the case of super fans) $299 already!

Well, now isn't exactly the best time to make these comparisons as we are having a sale in the store. So the only reason you are seeing $42.49 is because everything is 15% off. Normally, the DVD is $49. As a Superfan, you get 20% every purchase if you use your code and your price would be $39.99. You also receive 20% off of archived Guild projects, which brings the $65 price down to $52. So the question is what does that $12 get you? A couple things. First, you get access to the Guild site. If you ever followed along with a build, such as the Roubo, you probably discovered the usefulness of the accompanying writeups for each video as well as the content that comes with each comment section. This is something you don't get with a DVD.

Another factor is lifetime access. For as long as the Guild site exists, you'll be able to watch and download the videos you paid for. We never cut you off. This is is a one-time fee for the user but I will continue to pay the bandwidth indefinitely. Obviously with a DVD, you get the videos but you don't get "any time" online access.

We will continue to refine the pricing in an attempt to get the fairest pricing possible for all parties. At this time, we try to make things fair by giving discounts to yearly members. Standard Yearly members get 10% off DVDs and 10% off archived Guild projects. Superfan members get 20% off DVDs and 20% off Archived projects. I'm going to call a family meeting to re-visit the pricing structure and discounts. If we can do something better, we will.

edit* I should also add that DVDs may not be much of an issue moving forward as it is becoming less and less necessary to produce them. We may just go 100% digital. So at some point you may see the dvds reduced in price to move inventory.

One last dumb question - going through the checkout process today - I didn't see any place to enter the discount code. At what step in the process is it? My problem with streaming every time I want to watch something is that in Alaska - I pay for my internet by the gigabyte. Over $100/month for my 100GB of internet. DVD's would be nice for someone like me, just because I can put them in iTunes and stream them to my woodshop that way over my local wi-fi. It would be nice to have access to the content in the comment section, but I don't want to burn up 12-27GB (depending if the DVD's are 4.5 or 9 gigs and if they're full) of my monthly internet... Anyway I could buy the DVD's at the guild site price and get both? :D

Jeez, I'm a pill. Sorry, Marc!