Watching video on Android Tablet

dodgeram99

==> I can watch the free videos but can't watch the guild build videos

to clarify, you want watch Marc's videos from his free site, but not the subscription site? At one point, Marc had a non-password protected video on the subscription site -- if it's still there, can you play that one?

OK after digging into this a bit, the short version of the story is that Android doesn't seem to like the streaming version of our videos. Something in our encoding settings apparently. We always try to make our videos as compatible as possible with all devices so I am working on an alternative, though the file size will be a bit larger. Once I have the new compression settings squared away, I'll make sure I use them for our future postings and I'll update the Dogon Platform bed build too. It's going to be a while before I can find the time to re-encode and upload new file versions for older build though.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

If you're uploading to a video host and simply embedding the video on your site, you probably have nothing to worry about. Most hosts do a pretty good job of handling compression of your source material. The only reason the Guild videos were/are a problem is because I am serving the videos myself, including dowloadable versions and the streaming version. So it was the streaming version of the file that Android didn't like. For compression I use Apple's Compressor pre-sets and modify them to my needs. I still haven't figured out why this particular streaming file doesn't work. To look at it's properties, it should be fine. So my solution was to use another pre-set that I know works and simply dial down the bitrate. Unfortunately, this still produces a larger file than I want. But it's either that or no love for Android. And honestly, I don't even know if this is Android across the board or just the Nexus tablets or what. So, that's about all I know at this point. I probably won't be going back to old videos and updating the streaming version any time soon. Well at least not until I have a bunch of Android users making requests. So far, the iPad crowd is much louder. :)