Shop Vac Cyclone Cart Plans?

FrankMatz

Quite some time ago I remember seeing plans for a Shop Vac with Cyclone cart from one of the magazines but for the life of me, I can't remember which magazine and I can't seem to find any reference to it. I seemed to remember liking some of the features of it and remember even seeing it in a "youtube" video after someone built it. But again I can't find that ether. Anyone out there remember the magazine and issue. I'd like to see if I could buy the plans through download. I have thought of just designing one but then why re-invent the wheel. I'll just use their plans and make whatever mods I think of. I'm hoping it is low enough to fit under the wing of my table saw as the old shop vac did.

I've got a small basement workshop (12X19 approx.) and don't have room for a dedicated dust collection system (6' 5"' Ceiling). I have cobbled together dust collection ports for all my large power tools and use a shop vac to hook up where ever I need it. After burning up the last shop vac, one of my sons bought me a Rigid 5HP 12Gal shop vac and "SWMBO" bought me an Onieda Dust Deputy Cyclone Head. I have to give credit to the WW for that as she saw me watching his "shoot out" one evening. Thanks Marc.

On this topic I also was thinking of using an idea of a cart having the Shop Vac above the Cyclone, sort of. This would be taller but, if I could run 1.5" PVC from the output to two locations, I could just leave it in a corner and only move it when I need access to the cabinet it would block. The total run of the PVC would be approx 20'. I've read the thread on static pressure and cfm but was wondering if knocking the diameter of the pipe from 2 1/4" to the 1.5" out of the Dust Deputy I would gain enough to make this a viable option. I would have a ceiling dump over the table saw where I would connect a hose to the table saw and another wall one on the wall by the Planner, Router table, 10" mitre saw, 12" band saw and 16 scroll saw. Again using the 1.5" vac hose I've been using from the old shop vac (may it rest in peace). Everything is on wheels (retractable) of some sort and I have to move them to use them anyway, so could move them closer to the drop if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Hi John Fitz. Thanks very much. That's exactly the one I was looking for. I bought and downloaded the plan, now to look at modifications. I really don't like the 180 and 90 degree bends to the shop vac, but then it is only air since all the solid matter will go into the Cyclone bucket. I wonder how much these two bends restrict air flow and reduce efficiency. I did see a photo of a cart with the shop vac behind and above the cyclone and a small smooth length of tubing between the two. Seems like that would give optimal efficiency and perhaps open the possiblity to the third paragraph of my quesiton above.

• 1 month later...

I finally finished my version of the Shop Notes Cyclone-Shop Vac DC Cart. I thought you all may want to see some photos. All that is left is deciding how to finish it, paint, clear polly or a combination.post-7733-0-14662000-1358738366_thumb.jp

I didn't like all the bends in the flex hose in the original plans.

post-7733-0-46734800-1358738498_thumb.jp

Shelf was added to raise dust collector above Dust Deputy Cyclone. Now it is one small run into the cyclone.

post-7733-0-15093500-1358738550_thumb.jp

I added a drawer below the shelf for all of the shop vac accessories. Below that is storage for the hoses, both 2.5 inch new and 1.5 inch from an old dead discarded shop vac.

post-7733-0-54385600-1358738647_thumb.jp

Empty plaster bucket is sturdy enough for the cyclone and wood lid is secured with small C clamps for now. Both 2.5 and 1.5 inch shop vac straight pipes are secured behind the plaster bucket.

post-7733-0-15123400-1358738923_thumb.jp

All material used was from scrap I had and the drawer from a dresser found in the alley trash. I did buy two fixed 2.5" wheels from HD since I only had 2 of the same size that swiveled.

I built this one a few years ago and it works OK. Didn't want a larger cart to save on real estate. The 'weakness' if I can call it that, is the large vac drum which will go largely unused if the cyclone is doing it's job. I live with mine because I also use it for non-shop stuff and want to keep it easily converted to original configuration.

I've seen a few designs where the oem drum is eliminated completely and only the top is re-used but a catch can is required to collect fines that aren't captured by the cyclone.

post-6147-0-35600200-1358775246_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...