Boatworks Today

Steam Bending And a Toboggan??

28 posts in this topic

Really great videos. watched then last night! Very inspiring stuff! i'm definitely going to give steam bending a shot after watching the videos.!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• I would think it would be many years before a chunk that size becomes stable.
    • I haven't done tree-to-project myself, but I often read about a rule of thumb being 6 months to a year per inch of thickness for an air-dried slab. It depends on a lot of factors, like the climate, the moisture content of the wood to begin with, the amount of exposed end grain, etc... The sawdust and bag is to slow the drying down so you lessen the chance of cracking.
    • Thanks! Titebond 2, hard to say how much.  I was trying to be conservative so I didn't have loads of cleanup, and also only glued one side  of each joint before gluing up the cutting board. That's pretty sound advice!  I'll start on another cutting board tomorrow and see how that goes. They are!  I spent a whole day this past week tuning up my jointer. That's the thickness of the boards along the grain - it was 4/4 lumber to start with.  I'm trying to make it 1 ¼" thick, though once I get it flat it might be closer to 1" with how it's looking. That is brilliant!  I did this earlier and it got a side dead flat.  Sweet!  I'll go back tomorrow and get the other side flat as well.  I would have today but had church and other things going on that kept me out of the shop.  One thing I didn't do quite right was take it in increments.  There were some spots where the router was hogging out nearly ¼" of wood (it clamped so crooked, y'all) and it tore out in a few spots so that I'll either have to take another 1/16" off with the router or sand it for ages.  Leaning toward the router again. I don't want to wait that long! Lol.  I might look around and see if there's a cabinet shop in my area that will let me borrow a drum sander for an hour and then run a crap ton of cutting boards through it. Yeah, I don't have a brayer.  I ought to get one!  They seem to make spreading glue so much easier.  It's one of those tiny things I keep forgetting to get.  I did something like what you're saying to keep things in line when I glued it up this time, and the axis that I did that on was the least-screwed-up on the cutting board, so I'll definitely keep doing it! A flat surface and waxed paper frighten me.  Wouldn't the excess glue squeeze-out get into the wood and fill in the pores, resulting in loads of sanding to get down past it?  Or am I being paranoid?  (Of course, I guess glue in the grain is better than a warped board!) Definitely trying this! I need to pick up some 40 grit it sounds like!  Lowest I've got is 80.     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- So to sum up what I'll be doing differently on the next cutting board: 1. Glue faster & use just a touch more glue than I did this time. (Soon I'll buy a brayer.  I've been using a rubber spatula - time to upgrade!) 2. Put a little salt on the glue to help it grip. 3. Put down wax paper on my table saw and use its dead-flat surface as a guide; apply clamps to the top side of the cutting board to use gravity to my advantage. 4. Put on the parallel clamps gently, then clamp on the cauls, then parallel clamp the crap out of it. 5. Get some 40-grit sandpaper for cleanup   Thanks guys!  I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow...
    • I created an extensive post some time ago, detailing the process of completing the Wood Whisperer Guild Morris Chairs: The chairs are finally back from upholstery and set up in my home office. I can call this project 100% complete.  I need to pare down my "Honey Do" list to keep my wife happy but will be starting another woodworking project this fall.  I have purchased the Maloof-style rocker and the Matt Cremona coffee table.  If curious, I paid $1,100 (tax included) for the upholstery work and about $400 for each leather hide.  Two chairs and two ottomans took 3 good sized leather hides. http://andrewsrefinishing.com/ http://www.rodenleather.com/ I bought all of the lumber from Horizon wood (prices depend on what quality of wood that's bought and also varies according to current market prices).  I bought one stick of extremely heavily figured cherry ($14/BF) for the arms - they're what will be seen the most.  The vertical slats are made from the same board.  The rest of the project was constructed from regular figured cherry ($7/BF).  I have a friend (professional woodworker) who makes regular large lumber purchases and I was able to save on shipping by adding my wood to one of his orders. http://www.horizonwood.com/ I followed Marc's directions and had few problems completing this project. I consider myself an intermediate woodworker.  I learned a lot of new skills on this project (making patterns and jigs, working with epoxy and figured wood, bent lamination and finishing).   Job complete.  Time for a nap!
    • Nothing wrong with a steel undercarriage, so long as it is attached to allow seasonal wood movement, and has some support in the middle, not just around the edges. If I were doing this in end grain, I would start by making a flat work table large enough to support the entire top + the rails for a router sled. Could be temporary, but must be flat. I would also make the top in smaller sections, then glue up the sections to make the whole. I'd make things maybe 1/2" to 1" thicker than planned to accomodate the flattening process. This won't be cheap, but could be pretty awsome once it is done.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting