compact 10" sliding compound miter saw?

PA strawbale

I've been happy with my 10" Hitachi C10FS slider these past ten years, but now want to add base cabinets to the one wall of my 14' x 22' shop. This will serve as the base for my miter saw. I would be glad to keep these cabinets closer to the wall that what my current slider will allow. I am aware of two compact sliders-- Hitachi C12LSH and Bosch GCM12SD. Is anyone aware of 10" compact sliders? I don't need a 12", but more importantly they are out of my budget. Suggestions?

• Like 1

I'm not aware of a 10" compact model, but I do have the Bosch 12" Glide compound miter saw. Though expensive, it works wonderfully and is very, very compact. I bought it so that I could mount it as close to the wall as possible. It is so compact, that it actually takes up 2" less behind the fence than the Festool Kapex, shock is itself a compact saw.

Thanks Dyami Plotke. I'm sure the Bosch is great, but feels out of my price range at best price of $700. Do others have experience with the Hitachi C12 L/R SH? Do the L and R model numbers indicate that it is not duel bevel? That one would be closer to my price range, but I still wish something more economical would be available as 10"

Also, is anyone aware of a good comparison chart which includes total depth of the saws, e.g. my Hitachi is 41" from wall to outermost part of the adjustment handle? Maybe I could also consider dropping the slider and going with a simple 12" miter saw. I would likely win there on price and depth, but lose out on cross-cut capacity....

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-miter-saws-dw712.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS0714-2-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000AU1VJE/ref=sr_1_fed1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356650764&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+miter+saw+7+1+2

I own the Dewalt and like it a lot, only a single bevel but not a deal breaker for me. It still does take up quite a bit of room though. I have to move mine from my van into my basement shop a lot, so I appreciate the lighter weight. Not sure if that answers your question or not.

The festool Kapex is a 10 inch and is a beautifull piece of gear. I have used the kapex and the bosch glide and there is really no comparison. When the saws are fully drawn towards you and sideways force applied, the festool resists so much better than the bosch which can move a 1/4 inch or more. Nice idea for the coaxial arms but they need heavier engineering before I would consider it.

I own a non slide bosch 12 inch mitre saw that works fine and from front to back it is 30 inches giving clearance to be able to swing in full compound mode.

Festool make 2 versions of the Kapex. The 88 and the 120. They are the same saw but the 120 is the pimped version. The 120 has a twin lazer that is fully 3 dimensionally adjustable, it has the fine tilt adjust on the bar track to the right of the blade, it has the stop that holds the saw in a fixed position when mitreing on the rails so that you can make a cut into 5 inch skirting boards. Basically holds the saw forwards by around 3 inches so the flanges that hold the blade onto the motor don't inhibit the cut, it has the angle bisector. Everything else is the same. In Australia we pay $1,395 for the 88 and $1,850 for the 120. And our dollar is worth 104 US cents. I still think it is worth the money.

If you're in no hurry check out Tool King in Denver . They sell new as well as factory reconditioned tools. Before Christmas they had a load of Festool Kapex with a factory warranty for about $900. Obviously the Festool stuff sells out the quickest followed usually by Porter Cable but if you keep an eye on their site or give them a call they may be able to let you know when they will get another shipment. They also had the Bosch saw that was mentioned but they are gone now too.

http://www.toolking.com

I have the kapex, but I also respect the new bosch scms. if you are looking factory-referb to save $$, i'd take a look at the bosch. i used to be a fan of the dewalt (had several over the years), but their newer scms leaves a lot to be desired in the accuracy department.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips. I'll keep my eye open for used or reconditioned.

Putting a pocket in the wall as robjeffking suggests is something to consider, but I'm not ready to alter the wall at this point. My garage/shop walls are 20" thick (strawbale) so I could do it without going the whole way through, but it is feeling a bit too intrusive.

• 2 months later...

I'm still pondering this one, but am leaning toward biting the bullet on the Bosch Glide. As I said in my first post, I do like my 10" Hitachi C10FS slider, but want to make the change to a more compact saw. I'd be glad to hear a comparison from anyone who has used both the Hitachi slider and the Bosch Glide.

PA Strawbale

• 4 weeks later...