Sleepless night and excited of the next new tools ... Router and chisel plane

Bobby Slack

Here is my first one I need to get

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1407

And here is the second

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1232

I needed some tools to clean up joints for a couple of picture frames and having these would be nice ...

Timing, not tomorrow but for sure I will get them in the first quarter.

Excited.

Got to be honest with you. I saw this plane long time ago but also Matt Vanderlist wrote a post about one of these made by Lee Valley.

I am very partial to LN, which does not mean at all that LV is not a fantastic option.

If you look for that tool you should consider both ... I did not :)

I've never seen a chisel plane, but that looks like it would just be a dream with edge banding and glue cleanup.

Router planes are INCREDIBLY useful... Way underutilized.

They're fantastic for precision tuning of joint bottoms and faces in laps, dados, tenons, rabbets, half blind dovetails...

FWW recently had a great article by Dan Faia on tuning them up for perfectly flat bottoms. It's online for subscribers. Don't forget, you can add hardboard or plastic subbases, just like electric routers, to better span gaps.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

post-9139-0-57955500-1357624486_thumb.jppost-9139-0-64207300-1357624508_thumb.jpgood evening to you all - i have a record #71, stanley #71 and a #271 small router plane copy and a wood river chisel plane . i find that both of these , while maybe not on the top four or five of most woodworkers plane lists, are so useful that i would not like to give either of them up ! the longer you have a router plane the more uses you will find for them . i would say that a good vintage stanley / record #71 is not going to be beat by veritas or lie nielsen . veritas/ lee valley blades for their router plane do however fit the staney and record router plane which is nice since they offer standard and metric sets . the chisel plane is great for getting glue off of an area or getting into a corner that most other planes can't get ! i personally think any woodworker would benefit from having both of these handplanes but i would check e bay for a stanley or record (there are plenty of them and to be honest lee valley and lie nielsen are just copies of the original !

I am just lazy and like knowing that the instant the box is open, the plane is ready to use. No doubt the planes you mentioned are fantastic.

post-9139-0-57955500-1357624486_thumb.jppost-9139-0-64207300-1357624508_thumb.jpgood evening to you all - i have a record #71, stanley #71 and a #271 small router plane copy and a wood river chisel plane . i find that both of these , while maybe not on the top four or five of most woodworkers plane lists, are so useful that i would not like to give either of them up ! the longer you have a router plane the more uses you will find for them . i would say that a good vintage stanley / record #71 is not going to be beat by veritas or lie nielsen . veritas/ lee valley blades for their router plane do however fit the staney and record router plane which is nice since they offer standard and metric sets . the chisel plane is great for getting glue off of an area or getting into a corner that most other planes can't get ! i personally think any woodworker would benefit from having both of these handplanes but i would check e bay for a stanley or record (there are plenty of them and to be honest lee valley and lie nielsen are just copies of the original !