Ryobi Circular Saw Broken, and Fixed!

Redbaran

The only Ryobi tool that I've ever been impressed with is the 20" chainsaw that I bought. It started on the first pull and worked like a charm. It only cost around $100.00. I would have bought a better saw if I used a chainsaw very often, but I only use one every blue moon.

Thanks for posting this. You helped me fix my saw. I bought this model refurbished and used it once to make sure it worked. I then shipped it to Japan and tried to use it again. The lights and laser would come on but the motor wouldn't. I found your post on the first page of my google search.

I took out the switch and disconnected the wires. But before opening the switch I exercised the trigger a few times. It then started making a nice clicking sound which it wasn't doing before. I plugged it in and sure enough it's working. Awesome !

• 1 year later...

@RedBaran - Thanks for this. I have discovered same problem (don't know about the cause yet) as you stated. I bought this saw in the summer of 2012 to build a deck. Worked perfect. Put it away in the storage bag that came with it and left in garage through two Canadian winters and summers until we come to today.... And now the damn thing doesn't work. As noted above the light and laser still work fine.... just no power to damn blade. I don't know if I have the technical ability to repair it as you did but at least this will give me a start...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For me, I had the same experience as danjapan. I took out the switch but didn't take it apart. The action of testing the switch with the multimeter (putting the leads into the screw holes) seemed to "reset" the click mechanism, and the click was back.  When the switch clicked closed, the circuit was successfully closed on each side.

Thanks for info, as without it I probably wouldn't have tried.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I'm only posting this because I couldn't find anyone on the internet that had the same problem, so unless you have this saw, or want to laugh at me for buying a cheap saw, you can probably just skip this thread all together. If you're searching the internet 5 years from now and have the same problem and this posts helps, feel free to drop a "thanks" reply to this thread.

Redbaran,

I signed up here expressly to thank you for your post.  I had a similar problem with my Ryobi CS1151 corded circular saw.  Loved the thing but it suddenly didn't work after a period of no use. I suspect that I had abused it, possibly setting it down too roughly after the last use, which might have dislodged the spring.  That theory seems logical since it did not fail during use.  It does seem that use could also dislodge the spring.  If it fails again I will drive to a Ryobi plant and throw it through the front window, with RMA #CRAPPYSWITCHDESIGN sharpied onto it.

Your description was extremely helpful in fixing mine.  One thing that might be different with my model is that the spring has two small concave cupped disks covering each hold in the spring's ends. These tiny disks also were just loose in the trigger contacts box. I had to carefully place those onto the spring's ends THEN balance it the way you described.  I added one little trick to help balance the spring, I put small dab of silicone grease on the contacts plate which held the spring and tiny disks in place on the peg just long enough for me to luckily line up and snap the thing back together with the trigger peg aligned. It was absurdly tedious and difficult, almost impossible seemingly, and I was equally absurdly lucky that it worked in one attempt.

What a ridiculous design. I will treat this saw with tender loving care from now on to hopefully avoid jostling this precariously positioned switch spring.

Thanks again for your detailed and thoughtful solution.

Peace,

Al

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Glad I found this!

Similar problems - blue model Ryobi that refused to spin up after being idle for some months.

I suspect I was luckier than most as I didn't even get to pick up a screwdriver.  In the act of putting it back onto the workbench, my finger slipped off the trigger (it was unplugged), the trigger sprang back and made a click sound.  That seemed to restore the click mechanism thingie so the saw works again.

Just depress the trigger fully then slide finger off the trigger so it springs back.

Of course, it MAY have been the mean look I gave it, or the extensive (but highly creative) string of obsceneties aimed at the designers...

Yours Aye,

~Bear™

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just wanted to throw my experience in here as we'll in case it saves someone a few minutes. Bought my saw reconditioned & didn't even plug it in until long after 30 days, so never knew it was inoperable when it arrived & had no recourse for return. Oops.

I tried what 54Bear said about not taking it apart & just flicking the switch, didn't work. However, that method did work the rest of the week after taking the saw apart & taking the switch out (but not taking it apart). First time I pressed the trigger while it was out of the casing, it clicked. After putting it back together, about half the time I'd need to flick the trigger to get the click back, but it never stopped working entirely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update: the trigger stopped working again after the saw sat unused for a few months.  No amount of trigger-flicking or "gentle tapping" on the handle would bring back the click.  However, what did work was putting sideways pressure on the trigger while pulling it - so instead of just pulling the trigger, push it to the left as you pull.  Glad I didn't have to take it apart again!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great help...I have the same saw and it wouldn't work in the middle of rehabbing my pool house...had to finish with a battery saw (yuck!). Saw your post about the switch and the "pull trigger with pressure to the left" worked on the second try! Moral: China has exported this same technology to its satellite, North Korea. Probably explains why their missiles don't work very often. Clever way to keep a rowdy subordinate nation under control! Thanks so much for the help.  Doctorj  

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you for this post! It was very helpful to fix my saw as well!!

I did almost the same thing as Danjapan and markjb57.  The lights and laser would come on but the motor wouldn't start.

I took out the switch and disconnected just first wire (white colour) . I did not disconnect all the wires and just tried the trigger few times and  it started making a nice clicking sound which it wasn't doing before. Looks like once you disconnect the wires from the switch(I just disconnected one white wire), -- it resets  the click mechanism.

Everything works perfect! It was really easy and fast fix!!

Thanks again and Good luck!!

• 7 months later...

thanks, a friend gave me the saw, like yours, said it would not turn on. I found your web page, opened the switch cover, but before I took it apart I squirted some wd40 on the switch and pulled it a few times. It started clicking, put it back together and plugged in and it ran.  Your help and help of WD40 I have a good saw. If it stops again I know how to fix.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks to Redbaran and then Danjapan I was able to sort out my saw that was not spinning (laser and light had power). I hadn't used the saw for over a year so it sounded like the same problem. I didn't even have to take the thing apart, just "exercised" the trigger while the saw was put together. While repeatedly depressing the trigger I applied pressure in different directions until it started clicking. I plugged it in and it fired right up, has been working fine ever since. Thanks everyone!

• 1 year later...

Thank you Redbaran! And to all the others that have replied over the years!
I've had this saw for years but have not used it for many. Had the same "no-click" trigger issue.
After reading through the replies, and finding out that the switch is discontinued (gee I wonder why), I was set to start taking the saw apart to fix it as RB described.
I tried pulling the trigger a few times, with pressure to the left and right, to no avail.
On whim, I grabbed a light rubber mallet and whacked the trigger housing/handle a few times.
Sonufabi#$% if it didn't do the trick.
The snap returned to the trigger. Plugged it and fired right up.
FYI: Parts Warehouse and Repair Clinic each list a trigger under my model (CSB142LZ), though not the original part number that e-Replacement Parts shows in their diagrams as discontinued.
(Each site lists a different part number, presumably both substitutes.)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Redbaran and all other contributors:

I also have this saw and it has seen occasional use since buying it around 2012. I also had the lights/laser, but no spinning blade issue and had it ready to go to Goodwill, but thought, I'll see if I can get it to work one last time. I disassembled the clam shell, tested continuity, and had decided the motor must be seized.... Then I found this post and after "flicking" trigger and applying lateral pressure to it, she started right up with gusto. Much obliged!

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, Stinkerton said:

Thanks to Redbaran and all other contributors:

I also have this saw and it has seen occasional use since buying it around 2012. I also had the lights/laser, but no spinning blade issue and had it ready to go to Goodwill, but thought, I'll see if I can get it to work one last time. I disassembled the clam shell, tested continuity, and had decided the motor must be seized.... Then I found this post and after "flicking" trigger and applying lateral pressure to it, she started right up with gusto. Much obliged!

I’ve gotta ask. So you did give Goodwill a working saw as opposed to a non working one, right?:huh:

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...