Nick2cd

~Don't wait!!!! DOMIPLATE!!!!!!~~~

13 posts in this topic

my wife got me a domiplate for Christmas this year. it's an accessory for the festool domino 500 (don't know if it fits the 700). anyways, it is a bolt on fence that allows for quick, unchanging depth on 1/2" and 3/4" materials (think sheet goods or 3/4" lumber). i thought it would be a great addition for building with sheet goods but this thing just makes the domino laser accurate (i know, it's hard to imagine making it more accurate)! it does so by increasing the stability on difficult plunges to the point where one hardly has to think about technique while plunging. you know what im talking about.....holding by the power cord with light pressure from thumb and forefinger, slow plunge while clicking your heels together and whispering "there's no place like home". anyways, it's a fantastic accessory and i thought id pass the word along. check it out at senecawoodworking.com

+1 on the Domiplate! They are making a version for the 700 , not sure if it is available yet.

I use 5mm dominos with 5/8 Baltic and the 1/2 side of my Domiplate to make drawers. Corners always come out perfectly flush.

Steve,

im definitely looking forward to using this for domi-drawers! i just wish i could use the quick reference paddles and place a domino a bit closer to the edge of a drawer. it won't matter on most drawers except for really shallow ones.

Nick, +1 on Domiplate here to! I use it for Domi-drawers for many projects for the last 2 months since I bought it. Awesome!

chris

I use a 1/4 dado 1/4 deep that is 1/2" up from the bottom edge of the drawer for the bottom. My domino is the older one with the pins, it puts the mortice just above the dado. A shallow drawer glues up fine with 1 domino in each corner and a bottom that is carefully sized to fully fit with no wiggle room. You have to use the 4 mm dominos with 1/2" Baltic . I use 5/8 Baltic and the 5mm dominos. The depth setting has to be on 12mm for the plunge into the face of the sides, 16mm into the ends of the front and back. Plus the Domiplate on the 1/2" side!

I use a 1/4 dado 1/4 deep that is 1/2" up from the bottom edge of the drawer for the bottom. My domino is the older one with the pins, it puts the mortice just above the dado. A shallow drawer glues up fine with 1 domino in each corner and a bottom that is carefully sized to fully fit with no wiggle room. You have to use the 4 mm dominos with 1/2" Baltic . I use 5/8 Baltic and the 5mm dominos. The depth setting has to be on 12mm for the plunge into the face of the sides, 16mm into the ends of the front and back. Plus the Domiplate on the 1/2" side!

The pin style fence is awesome! Have u ever done through tenons on ur domi drawers?

The pin style fence is awesome! Have u ever done through tenons on ur domi drawers?

I have. Pretty simple cheat method for through domi tenons is to build the drawer and then cut the dominos. That way you know it will be a perfect fit and get the strength of the tenons.

chris

We made some boxes with through tenons. We made mahogany tenon stock and routed the corners, then rounded the ends on a long section before cutting off the tenon to exact length. Looked great . One of these days I need to figure out how to post pictures from my iPad.

We made some boxes with through tenons. We made mahogany tenon stock and routed the corners, then rounded the ends on a long section before cutting off the tenon to exact length. Looked great . One of these days I need to figure out how to post pictures from my iPad.

You post pics just like your pc as long as you're not on the mobile site.

Don

The plate does look neat. Most of the guys I know using dominos for cabinets are just bolting them to a tablesaw insert with formica shims and cross stops. Very easy to balance bore panels without measuring or marking.

You post pics just like your pc as long as you're not on the mobile site.

Don

The plate does look neat. Most of the guys I know using dominos for cabinets are just bolting them to a tablesaw insert with formica shims and cross stops. Very easy to balance bore panels without measuring or marking.

Don,

im not sure i follow, but it sounds interesting. have any pics of these setups?

Don,

im not sure i follow, but it sounds interesting. have any pics of these setups?

Nick

Its the same theory as the domiplate, referencing off the bottom of the domino. The exception is that bolting the domino to a table makes it more accurate, subject to less user error. You move the panel not the tool.

Don

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/woodstore_2241_52135224

There are plans for a jig to mount a biscuit machine or Domino to a flat surface.

Then you can use a fence, toggle clamps( I love my Bessey toggle clamps for jigs! ) to hold small parts in an exact position.

I found a free set somewhere and printed them, just haven't built it yet.

Link should be a picture of the jig.

Domiplate rules for speed and accuracy. I have had my fence slip or get a tiny bit crooked when I was cutting lots of mortices. I tried to overtighten the fence and broke a part. Festool service was great, part was free, I paid for faster shipping.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/woodstore_2241_52135224

There are plans for a jig to mount a biscuit machine or Domino to a flat surface.

Then you can use a fence, toggle clamps( I love my Bessey toggle clamps for jigs! ) to hold small parts in an exact position.

I found a free set somewhere and printed them, just haven't built it yet.

Link should be a picture of the jig.

Domiplate rules for speed and accuracy. I have had my fence slip or get a tiny bit crooked when I was cutting lots of mortices. I tried to overtighten the fence and broke a part. Festool service was great, part was free, I paid for faster shipping.

Essentially the same thing. The domiplate is a neat little gizmo. Sure beats the piece of mdf Ive used for years.

Don