Inlaid occasional table, Asian flavored

Eric.

On 1/24/2013 at 0:39 PM, duckkisser said:

have you done string inlay i was just reading a article on that looks interesting.

for you sand shading what did you use? i played with using a electric skillet but it does not get hot enough. the temp regulator kept kicking on and turning it off.

I just used an old hot plate. It took a while (maybe 10 minutes) to get the sand hot enough to char the wood.

On 1/24/2013 at 1:08 PM, Chris H said:

Beautiful! I love the color selection. I agree, it will only get better with time.

About how long would you say the inlay process took you?

Hard to say, Chris. I often only get the chance to go out to the shop for ten minutes or an hour at a time, and aside from weekends, I tend to make very incremental progress. So it's nearly impossible to say how many hours it took.

have you done string inlay i was just reading a article on that looks interesting.

for you sand shading what did you use? i played with using a electric skillet but it does not get hot enough. the temp regulator kept kicking on and turning it off.

Hey duck, try a coffee can of sand on the gas grill, just have to sneak up on the right setting.

i do it on the basement stove now its not like it catches on fire just gets hot.  bought a skillet at a garage sale put a cup or 2 of sand in it and when im done i just put the lid back on.  i mounted some knobs on it and threaded it so i can keep the lid in place

You may also be using too much sand.  I had to really bury the pieces to where they were almost touching the bottom of the pot.  I dumped out about half of what I had and kept about a 3/4" depth...worked much better.  Of course if you're doing larger pieces you may need to use more sand, but if you're just going after the edges of small pieces, less is better I think.  I'm far from an expert.

you made a mastake ! you must burn it now and we will never speak of this day.........patooooie i spit on the ground at your feet. 

i see it now but its such a gentle curve that you cant realy notice it unless you look.  you and me might notice it if we saw it in person but most people wont notice because they dont know what they are looking for and havent done anything anywhere near this.   

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man.  Inspiration didn't come from anywhere in particular.  I knew I wanted to go with an Asian look with some curved legs, and that's about it.  I had a big ol' chunk of 12/4 cherry, so the dimensions of the curves were pretty much dictated by the size of the stock. I made three or four templates, and settled on one.  Didn't make a prototype leg, though, so the end result was basically a gamble.  I'm happy (enough :rolleyes: ) with them.