Douglas Fir Glu-Lam beams?

I have a source for Douglas Fir GluLam beams.   They are 5 1/8 x 12" x 12'.

The prices on these is almost ridiculous, $5 per linear foot.   Would this be a good material to make a bench out of?  I know I've read that Douglas fir can be good, but I have no experience with glu-lam beams.

-Displaced Hillbilly?

I have 2 douglas fir glulam beams in my home. They are the main ridge beams and very, very, very strong and stable.!!!! Mine are a bit longer than your's, Being 11 metres and 7.2 metres. They would make an insane bench. My beams are 18 inches deep and cost me $1600 Australian for the pair. Buy them and do not look back.

are you talking LVL?  i think that's lamSYP?

The Schwarz has a write-up on LVL benches (I think it was called 'high-tech bench' or 'high tech roubo' or '21c roubo' or something along those lines.  if you google lvl and roubo you'll probably find it).  General impression was the he liked it a lot due to strength and speed of construction.  his one knock (i think) was that he used carriage bolts for base frame and the heads dug-into the laminate -- aesthetic issue only... and could have been fixed with bolts and washers.

My bench was a lamination of many 2x6s laminated together it is a very heavy, and an excelent work surface. I think your idea of useing glue lams would be a great time saver, and almost be an instant bench top after I compleated my bench top I made a sled, and planed my top with my router it turned out very flat good luck.

gallery_2926_515_45925.jpg

are you talking LVL?  i think that's lamSYP?

The Schwarz has a write-up on LVL benches (I think it was called 'high-tech bench' or 'high tech roubo' or '21c roubo' or something along those lines.  if you google lvl and roubo you'll probably find it).  General impression was the he liked it a lot due to strength and speed of construction.  his one knock (i think) was that he used carriage bolts for base frame and the heads dug-into the laminate -- aesthetic issue only... and could have been fixed with bolts and washers.

LVL usually is plywood. The laminations being thin and vertical instead of thick and horizontal.

Well....I'm honestly considering cutting them down to 6 feet long.   I can't see why I would need a bench that is close to 8 feet long. (I know...I'll probably regret this one day), but I have to get them into my basement shop....but only to assemble the bench.

The USAF Academy has a pretty awesome woodworking shop, and that's where I'll do most of the milling/construction.   Then I figure I'll buy some cadets some Pizza and have a moving party!