Organizational Thingie

Eric.

I don't know about you guys, but my wife thinks that it's okay to pile up clutter and random crap in the most inappropriate places in the house.  Being a somewhat tidy person, I find this habit extremely annoying.  But after 13 years of cohabitation, I've come to the painful realization that threats, bribes and blackmail are ineffective.  So I just built this thing to collect some of her crap that piles up on the kitchen counter.

13012018.jpg

13012025.jpg

13012024.jpg

Made with mostly scraps of what is believed to be Cuban mahogany, and leopardwood and yellowheart.  Finished with a homemade oil/varnish blend.

13012027.jpg

P.S.  Apologies if looking at my backsplash has given you a headache.  Yes, I was high when I did that.

coolest-best-latest-top-new-fun-high-tec

something like this you could addapt it or just make something else to set in the door way or in the most popular room in the house mine is the kitchen so having this sit on the counter is ideal. 

also how about some kind of mail/bill organizer maybe you could combine the two

AAAAAtv0wGIAAAAAADnilw.jpg?v=11740190690

maybe mount it in the door way to the house so when you come in you can put bills in there slot, your mail in one spot, wifes in another.  then have hooks for coat and purses,  and a space that you can set your phone and ipod in to charge

also just from the fact my mom and dad are pack rats i have found that drawers just collect odds and ends of all kinds of junk people  tend to pick stuff up and just put it in a drawer.  then pile more on top and lose track of what is the at drawer. and the stuff they use all the time get put on desk top and never put away.  

so to combat that mindset I built an desk organizer with specific storage like a spot for tape, pens, glue, paper,  ect.....  it helped till my mom kept buying pens at garage sales so before i knew it there was coffee mugs siting on the desk full of pens.  sigh what can you do but grimice and bear with it.  have fun trying to change your wife and put on a helmet when you start banging your head on the wall.

Eric,

The piece is gorgeous! Love the dovetails on the drawer! The joints to the bottom piece look great too!

However I agree with Duck and wdwerker. My experience was similar, I made a large router bowl to contain some of the mess in, but the first thing that happened was the cell phone started getting charged next to the bowl, now the area on my counter looks exactly like your before picture.

Granted I went from nothing to a small bowl, and you started with a bowl and went to this piece, so your experience will likely be completely different from mine.

But then Pavlov's dogs didn't drool excessively the first time he rang his bell, using your analogy more bells might mean more saliva!

Keep it up, and let me know when those seminars are!